Get(ActiveFieldContents) only gets visible text

This topic is 3240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Im using the Get(ActiveFieldContents) in a script which is triggered when a field is entered, and when the field is exited. However, it fails to get all of the text in a large text field if some of the text is not visible. Upon exiting the field, the script gets all the text as appropriate. I am trying to detect if the field was modified, and if so to log the old and new values. This is playing havoc with my script and I don't understand why it doesn't evaluate properly in the first instance.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am using Mavericks as well and I can't replicate the issue but it might depend upon 1) how large is a large text field (to you),  2) what steps you are using in your script or 3) something else.  In testing, I have text field with 173,000 words and it doesn't matter if I have 'select entire contents' checked or not, it grabs it all.  Can you do a word count on the field which fails?   In data viewer, create a watch calculation with:  WordCount ( your field ).

There are different logging solutions out there. You can get one of those or you can do it yourself manually.

If you do it yourself first you'll have to grab the field's existing content on object enter, run a script that stores that into variable, let the user make the change, then on object exit you run another script to compare the change and log the change. Just look into when the triggers fire, I can't remember and you need to be precise.

Debugger is your friend. :-)

This topic is 3240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.