Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hoping someone can help I may be missing something or not quite understanding correctly. I have a container field that stores a signature. I have set it to store External Open it works great if you look at a layut that is based on the table it is from. (in this instance employees layout based on employees table) however, when I use it on a layout which employees is related to it does not show. (that is a sales contract which has a relationship from sales to employees) Is their something i am missing? to make this work? eg should I be referencing the stored data etc. The filemaker documentation from what i can see just sends me around in circles.  FYI Filemaker Pro 14 and FMS 14 with FMGo are used. I know it is probably going to be something minor but for the life of me I cant think what.

I have used it previously without any problems and i have even cross referenced the setup I used before just to make sure.

Edited by Peter Barfield

Can you show a screen capture of your database relationships for those tables as well as the layout that is supposed to show the signatures. It is hard to come up with a solution to your problem without seeing it. 

The container field should work regardless of the store settings. I have multiple databases running external and secure and no issues displaying them within the tables. How are Employee to Sales connected? On the Sales layout did you drop a container field that shows that it is from the Employee table? Make sure the layout is using the correct "View Records From:" that you are trying to relate the data from. I have had instances when I used the wrong connection to for the layout basis and fields would show up blank because the data was not related the same way the correct table instance would even though both table instances were from the same table.

Hi Peter and welcome to the FM Forums. 

Hoping someone can help I may be missing something or not quite understanding correctly. I

​Please update your profile to reflect your FileMaker Version, OS and Platform.

Just click on your icon at the top of the page, choose “Edit Profile"

Peter,

are  the employee keys assigned properly?

Make sure the related record you are trying to view has a signature. Try putting another field from the employees table on the layou to check that the issue is the container and not the relationship.  

JerrySalem Thanks for the tip. Yes it appears nothing from the emplyees table is showing so that rules out container issues I think? However Im now perplexed as to why the relationship is not working from what I can see it is set up correct.

Update: Finally solved the issue thanks everyone for the input. It was a reference to a value list that i had inexplicably screwed up. Guess I was half asleep when I did that. In tracing everything back I looked and thought that doesnt look right changed it and voila! They say the devils in the detail.

Thanks everyone for the tips

This topic is 3239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.