Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New Search results in previous users data to be changed

This topic is 3231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Guys,

I am taking over development of a new filemaker database at my work. It was a project started by a filemaker developer before the company had a downturn

I am a relative rookie in filemaker but have some decent knowledge of SQL and have managed to learn a lot about how filemaker seems to structure its relationships and scripting.

We have an "layout" for a table containing some new electronic items testing data for compliances now the issue that has arisen is that as we use Filemaker hosted on a server and run an RDS that has filemaker pro installed we can have multiple users from a single department (all with there own logins) that use this same testing table and layout

Here is a fun one that has just been discovered if one user is entering data and a second user loads a new item in the search, the first users data is replaced and the screen reloads with the other users item data.

I believe this is being cause by the 2 scripts that have been developed which essentially set a selected flag at the database level and then a search recalls results with that selected flag which is possibly overriding any sessioning that filemaker may do at the server level.

attached are the scripts in question, now the big issue is that these scripts basically work across the complete database for all searched/selected results so it is going to affect every user eventually when all the work is completed and the database goes live to everyone. At the moment it is just being used by a single department (however with no prior testing of all functions..... a big no no......) which started before I joined the company.

I'm basically after some suggestions on a way to manage selections from a portal and it not changing the previously selected result from the other user.

remove prev found set.pdf

Select Record from portal.pdf

Set new foundset.pdf

Since you are using a portal, I assume the record count will be minimum in the portal. Correct me, if I am wrong.

If so, consider using a GLOBAL TEXT FIELD to store the IDs for the selected found set and base the portal relationship on the GLOBAL field. Global fields are unique to each user using their own FileMaker client on your LAN.

Hope this helps!

• Newbies

Hi Dwdate

Some more info I have had relayed to me

The portal shows all items pending (currently 280) in the list, however it isn't when the record is selected the issue occurs it is when the guys search specifically that the portal list changes just to the found record of the other user, completely ignoring what the previous user has searched for.

It is generated by the script attached.

I'll have to check for certain but it appears all the fields used to set the foundset and selected are global

Find Serial Numbers.pdf

• Newbies

Hi Don,

Early results look good so far for the changes we made, testing still underway, broke a few things in other scripts but I should be able to sort that out no worries.

Ill keep you posted how I go.

Cheers.

This topic is 3231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.