Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sample a color from the screen - Glitch

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I am having a weird glitch with the 'sample a color from the screen' tool. Whenever I use it to select a color it shows a close up of the pointer and only allows me to choose 414141, the colour of the pointer, as a selection? I have included an image to show what I mean.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 8.50.41 am copy.jpg

Hi Brad, and welcome to the FM Forums.

I’ll move your question to an appropriate topic area once I know if the is a question on version 11 file or 14?

Never mind, I see it it in 14.

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
  • Like 1

Weird glitch, indeed.  I can't replicate, Brad, using same FM and OS versions.  I saw only the expected behavior, in which the color sampler ignored the pointer and correctly sampled the color immediately beneath its tip.  (Also, couldn't grab screenshot via Shift-Cmd-4, as pointer disappears.  Did you use Grab or some other timed-screen capture utility instead?)

Do you have any FM plugins installed, or unusual OS services/background apps running?

But, isn't that the text color indicator?  It appears that the blue you want is the background or a rectangle.  I do not believe that is a 'sample a color from the screen' tool, is it?  Or have I missed something all these years - it's quite possible!!

Hi LaRetta,

I think the ability to sample screen colors from within FileMaker's native color picker popover (vs. calling up the OS-provided color picker) is new to FM 14.  In Brad's screenshot, the swatch adjacent to the magnifying glass icon in the popover should be reflecting the color directly under the tip of the cursor (blue), as should the hex value displayed. Also, the cursor itself should not even show in the enlarged view that fills the remainder of the popover; just a small square showing which pixel is being sampled from the screen.

I haven't experienced Brad's glitch myself, although seeing is believing in his screenshot, of course.  Overall, I've been quite pleased with the various enhancements to the native FM color picker in 14.  Can't explain Brad's finding.

Mark

Wow.  This took me a bit to find!  The magnifying glass produces a color picker option.  I had of course read the new features but all it said about colors is:

Improved color palette – Add or change custom colors, set specific color values, and enter or paste hexadecimal values. The palette includes colors that coordinate with the predefined themes

... which obviously I saw when I played with it.  It should have said, "And now includes a color picker!

Thanks, Mark.  And no, I cannot replicate the strange behavior either (now that I know what it is, LOL).

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.