Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SendMail not working in WebDirect

This topic is 3169 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Have a hosted file that refuses to acknowledge the SendMail command in WebDirect.

To test this, I have a short script that opens a Custom Dialog (to verify that the script is running) to tell me that it is preparing to send an email, and a second line with the SendMail script step. It shows the dialog, then does nothing.

The "Perform without dialog" option is NOT selected and I'm not trying to attach a file, since these are not supported. According to FileMaker's script step reference, these are the only limitations. Checked with the hosting company and they have nothing in place which would block the SendMail script.

Any ideas?

I assumed that SendMail wasn't allowed in WebDirect at all - interesting - I agree that the documentation suggests it is.  

But, I bet that all it does is launch a "href='mailto:[email protected]" from the client's WEB BROWSER.     With about 90% of clients, this will fail since they aren't using an email app on the same computer.

TL;DR: I don't think it's going to work like you expect.

• Newbies

Here's what I ultimately found, and I'll address a couple of points that xochi mentioned.

SendMail does work in WebDirect, with two limitations. You cannot use the "Perform without dialog" option and you cannot attach files.

If you choose the "Client Email" option, it doesn't do the mailto thing (You can get it to do that using the OpenURL script step, though). It does open Mail (on Mac) or Outlook (Windows) or whatever e-mail app is present on the device. 

My main problem was that I had pop-ups blocked in my web browser. This was what was preventing the email client from opening. The browser considers that a pop-up window. It had nothing to do with FileMaker, WebDirect, or even the device. It was a web browser setting.

Once the pop-up setting in the browser was changed to allow them, SendMail did work as expected.

Edited by GZiemann

This topic is 3169 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.