Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print the Temp Folder

This topic is 3167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

How do you print the temporary folder if you have to append the pdf where you have multiple pages.

Yes I can on the last "Append" select "Automatically Open" but I want to send it to the "Printer" automatically without the user interacting with it.

They already interacted with the layout by selecting the "Print" button.  So now I need to got to several different layout "Append" the pdf in my "Variable - $Temp Path but I am lost as how to get my temporary folder to the printer without opening it to the desktop.

I want it clean, User clicks "Print" ... I save layout as PDF into my $Temp Path .. Append as layouts needed ... then print $Temp Path ... exit script with no pdf file on my desktop.

Any suggestion I would be grateful.

Thank you

Tom

Edited by Snozzles

Generating the PDF and printing are two different actions.  First create the PDF, append as you need to.  Make sure you have the full path to the PDF sotred somewhere.  Then use the Send Event script step with the print option.

Comment,

The customer doesn't want to perform redundant task and they want to "Preview".

I like the "Temp Folder" because I can put all my doc there and email them.  It is perfect.  However, this particular request has got me stumped ?

I have a "Form" layout that the customer can preview and if there are more the "6" forms, the 1st page is the primary while page two just list all forms 1 thru X.

So here I am.  I can not "Preview" that I am aware of ?? two different layouts and my customer is asking for "One" step ... hmm .. ?

I'm stuck ...

Wim,

"Then use the Send Event script step with the print option."

Can I get some more info on this ?

Thank you.

First, make sure you really need two layouts. Next, it still may be possible to "preview" one layout after another. Finally, if you must produce a PDF, then use OS level scripting (Applescript, if you're on OS X) to print it from Filemaker .

Comment , Wim,

I'm in a printing plant with PC's.

"First, make sure you really need tow layout".

The second layout has a different "Find", the customer wants to "Omit" the "Back UP" forms since they are not necessary to view in the "LIST".

The "Send Event" script Wim mentioned, is that the "Applescript" you are mentioning ?

Thank you.

Wim,

"Then use the Send Event script step with the print option."

Can I get some more info on this ?

Thank you.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref1.35.170.html

One of the options is to open a document that you point it to (path can be a variable), another option is to print the document.  It's a little easier to grasp it by opening the script step in ScriptMaker / Script Workspace.

The "Send Event" script Wim mentioned, is that the "Applescript" you are mentioning ?

There's absolutely no necessity to do any OS-level scripting like AppleScript (Mac) or VBscript (Windows).  The Send Event script step has the option.

Edited by Wim Decorte

This topic is 3167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.