Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatic login for guest users.

This topic is 8264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I just started working for my college library, and they are using FMPro for a couple of their databases. The databases are used by students as well as staff. I'd like to make it so that students don't have to login as a guest every time they come to the main page of the server to do a search, but give staff the option as logging in so that they can add/change/ect the entries. Any ideas? I was thinking something along the lines of a page for students that automically logs them in when they access the database, but I have no idea whether that is possible or how to do it.

Thanks,

Ralph Douglass

Oberlin College

• 5 weeks later...

You haven't actually stated whether you are sharing them with Web Companion, Instant or Custom. If you are using Custom, then set up the Web Security databases to allow browse access for all the relevant databases to guests, by creating an "all users" record for them.

When they try to edit reate or delete records they will be asked to authenticate. Of course they don't have a password so they cannot complete the operation.

You could make a separate web entry point for students that don't have the links to edit etc if you want.

If the c0omputers are in an open area where more than one person uses them, you *don't* want to store anything in cookies, at least not for more than the current session (expire=-1)

This topic is 8264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.