Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mark Record based on relationship status?

This topic is 3032 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking for the best way to handle this.

I've got two tables.  Orders and LineItems.

The orders layout has a portal to show the related records for LineItems. I've made a line item_Item status filed in LineItems that is a Number Filed.

The purpose was that a number greater then 0 would cause a notification in item_Item_status that line item has issues (based on the scripts)

This works fine and I'm also do a conditional for the portal row to show visually each line item that has issues.

What I want to do is, In the Orders layout. if any related LineItems have an error I want to mark/show that the Order record has issue.

What would be the best way to handle this? Or should I look at doing this another way?

8 minutes ago, Devin said:

if any related LineItems have an error I want to mark/show that the Order record has issue.

If it's only for display, you can use a conditionally formatted object - and the formula could be:

Sum ( LineItems::Status )

I would want to updated the Filed in Orders, so that a report or search could show what Orders have an issue.

I did find this when googling..

http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/28679-If-related-records-contain-a-value

It appears to be very similar in what I'm wanting to do.  have not tried it yet.

22 minutes ago, Devin said:

I would want to updated the Filed in Orders, so that a report or search could show what Orders have an issue.

Then make it a calculation field (result is Number), using the same formula.

---
Note that you can search the Orders table by searching a field of LineItems.

Edited by comment

This topic is 3032 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.