Displaying variable length records in list browse mode

This topic is 3012 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Wondering if anyone has a creative solution for getting records to appear like the attached sample where the record only appears for the length of text based on a certain field. Basically to have records that are variable height (not fixed). The trick is to do this in browse mode so that records can be interacted with. This is similar to threads in mac mail.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 8.28.35 PM.jpg

10 minutes ago, ddinisco said:

Wondering if anyone has a creative solution for getting records to appear like the attached sample where the record only appears for the length of text based on a certain field. Basically to have records that are variable height (not fixed). The trick is to do this in browse mode so that records can be interacted with. This is similar to threads in mac mail.

I am sorry to say - no can do.

12 minutes ago, ddinisco said:

I know there is not easy way to do it, but I thought perhaps some one has done a work around?

If I thought there was a hard way, I would have provided it.  There are no workarounds because it simply isn't possible for fields to adjust their size and slide - not in browse mode.

I suppose I could just keep quiet and let you continue to hope but that did not seem right.   If the User did not need ability to modify the data then it would be possible because you could use PLACEHOLDER, buttonbar, calculation, merge fields or web viewer instead  but on a layout in browse, fields will not adjust their size depending upon the text inside them - they simply can't - it is against FMs nature.  Sorry.  :|

You can provide the entire text from all fields using merge field and then at the side, list the field names and allow user to click one and use popover, slider, new window or switch layouts to that field for modification.

Edited by LaRetta

Thanks LaRetta. Talking this through sometimes helps to work out a solution or work around. The merge field is one I had considered, but I like the idea of combining with a pop over to edit the text. 

And please do not forget to make that suggestion to FileMaker here ( it is one we've all wanted forever, as you know ) :

Tech Net: Product Ideas

I believe it would be a fundamental change in layouts so I wouldn't take odds.  However, they did allow summaries in browse so it is certainly worth requesting.

This topic is 3012 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.