Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Barcode reader to fire capture script

This topic is 2571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Howdy, all:

I have a "dumb" barcode reader that connects to a USB port in my Mac; I'm running FileMaker Pro Adv., v.14.

As is, it captures barcodes just fine when the cursor is in a field of an existing record, but I have to create an orphan record, first, before the barcode can be captured. This is a little inconvenient to users since they need to push a (virtual) button, first, to fire a script (that creates a record) before swiping their card. I'd like them just to swipe in and out as they enter or leave the lab.

Is there a clever script (or plug-in) where as the card is scanned, a record is created and the barcode field is then populated?

TIA for your replies!

• 1 year later...

Why not capturing the barcode in a Global filed and set the scanner to pass a return after scanning. Then trigger a script to make a new record and process the scanned barcode text?

Make sure that you check the "return" check box for the Global field on "go to next object using" on "inspector/Data" tab. This way after the scanner passes a return after scanning the barcode, The script you already set to trigger "on object exit" will run.

Edited by siroos12

This topic is 2571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.