Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Wireless Barcode Scanner.

This topic is 7990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking for a wireless barcode scanning solution. I would like a worker to be able to grab the scanner from a recharge/docking base, use it all day scanning bar codes, recording the time the code was scanned and place it in the base at night. Then the data stored can be automatically transfered to a FMP database for later processing. Is there a Barcode scanner on the market that can do this or will I have to get a palm based solution? Can anyone recommend any products I can look at?

The term "wireless barcode scanner" usually refers to a scanner with no memory that is just a cordless version of the usual scanner and has no memory. Other handheld devices provide the ability to store data. Whether you can tranfer data to FM can depend upon the platform you are on. For instance the Symbol SPT-1500 and SPT-1700 devices are Palm compatible and can run a database called JFile and a synchronization product called FMSync for the Mac. FMSync doesn't work on the PC. FileMaker Mobile 2 runs on Palm devices, talks to both the Mac & PC, but I don't believe supports barcode scanners on Palm devices. There is also a symbol scanner module for the Handspring devices.

Other types of handheld devices typically use some sort of proprietary software and programming environment to create the data collection system you need. The standard interface is to the PC, I'm not aware of any that can be programmed from the Mac, although some may be able to dump serial data that can be captured on the Mac.

-bd

I've not heard anything. IMHO the barcode device industry is seldom on the leading edge of technology. Their adoption of USB for readers trailed the industry by 2 years. USB for printers is still mostly a dream. The state of stand-alone data collection devices is a tale of high cost and not very inspired technology.

-bd

I have developed a solution using SPT-1700/JFile/FMSync, but as there is no future support for FMSync then I'm considering alternatives.

I checked out HanDBase - it's very good, supports barcodes and has FM synchronisation. I also (recently) asked FMI if there would be barcodes in FMM2 - but no, however it should come in a later version.

Live Oak are right, barcodes seem to be hopelessly behind current tech standards so you run the risk of buying solutions that are becoming legacy systems before you've used them.

As a shameless tout for my own skills then send me a private message if you're interested in having a solution developed for you.

I wasn't aware that HanDBase has a synchronization product. Like you, we have developed JFile/FMsync solutions, but these products have gone unsupported. I really wish FMI had just purchased, pick one: JFile, HandDBase or ThinkDB. All are vastly superior to Mobile 2, instead of spending money hyping their inferior product. I hope it isn't a mystery to FMI what features to add, much like the Newton for Palm developers, the whole road map is there.

-bd

Ok, I'm liking the SPT-1800/JFile/FMSync idea, the SPT-1700 is no longer available. How does this FMSync work. Is it like Palm Desktop. I'm in an all Mac environment. Also, I would like to sync many PDAs at once if possible, maybe as many as 5. Would I then need a special base/craddle or do I have to do one at a time?

FMSync is a Palm conduit. It is setup through the Palm Desktop-->Hotsync...-->FMSync: JFile Pro. FMSync only works with local, single user FM files. It should be possible to sync multipe devices by having multiple copies of the local database, each talking to networked FM files with a little creative scripting.

-bd

OK, sounds good. Have you ever used one of the multiple PDA docking/charging craddles with a mac before? What I would like to do is have the 4 PDA's sit in the craddle at night to sync and charge whilw connected to one mac. Do you think this is possible?

Check out htis link to see the specific craddle I thinking of. I was thinking of using a keyspan usb adapter to connect to a mac.

http://www.symbol.com/products/mobile_computers/mobile_17_access_crd400s.html

It really all depends upon how the multiple cradles are supported in the Symbol (probably PC only) software. If you want to use a Mac and there is no software support for the multiple cradles, you're out of luck. It also isn't clear if the software will allow automatic scheduling/programming of synchronization.

You can always dump data via a manual hot sync in a single cradle (it shouldn't take very long) and use multiple cradles for charge only.

-bd

This topic is 7990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.