Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to connect to server!

This topic is 2978 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1 minute ago, Joshua Willing Halpern said:

Did you make any changes to the file security? Client file authorization?

Well. As I hear from client that IT people worked on the server computer last week. I had a chat with them and they said they did not change any security on the computer. I also did not change anything on file security. 

What is client authorisation? 

Just now, dansmith65 said:

Can you open the hosted file via FileMaker Pro?

If not, can you open any other file on the same server with FileMaker Pro?

If not, can you access the FMS admin console?

Yes, I am able to open the hosted file remotely from my laptop at home. 

The cosole is also working.

I did a test using EasySync sample files and it does sync. But it does not sync on my files.

So I was thinking may be the IT guys changed the IP address of the server and it caused my iPad files to miss the data source. But on the other hand, I use global IP of the server computer to address the data source on iPad files which is unique and not changeable. any thoughts?

41 minutes ago, siroos12 said:

Well. As I hear from client that IT people worked on the server computer last week. I had a chat with them and they said they did not change any security on the computer. I also did not change anything on file security. 

What is client authorisation? 

File Access Authorization: http://www.filemaker.com/help/12/fmp/html/passwords.14.33.html

Interesting that the sample files work. Have you tried connecting from iPad with a fresh copy of the client file?

Just now, Joshua Willing Halpern said:

File Access Authorization: http://www.filemaker.com/help/12/fmp/html/passwords.14.33.html

Interesting that the sample files work. Have you tried connecting from iPad with a fresh copy of the client file?

Yes, actually I did. I did reset the console, the server it self and the Filemaker server. I will check again and will update here.

Hi,

Actually the problem is solved after I did restart the filemaker server admin console and the server computer.

It was a bit of pain as for what ever reason, I had to recover my file. But after that it is back on server and ipads can sync. 

Thanks for all your efforts. 

Warm regards, 

Siroos 

3 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

You shouldn't have to do that, it's always better to go back to your last backup.

Unfortunately the last backup was generated 12 hours before the file damaged and during these period, lots of data have been added/modified on the database. So I couldn't use the backup. 

Recovery can be pretty bad for a file, another approach is to take your most recent backup, delete all the data and import from the recovered file.

And probably a good idea to increase the backup frequency to once an hour or so?

1 hour ago, Wim Decorte said:

Recovery can be pretty bad for a file, another approach is to take your most recent backup, delete all the data and import from the recovered file.

And probably a good idea to increase the backup frequency to once an hour or so?

Doesn't it negatively affect the performance if I set the backup up to backup every hour? 

Depends on the size and architecture of the solution, the # of concurrent users and the server specs; so many variables.  Typically I keep the ideal backup strategy in mind when I choose the server so that server is up to the task.

If a backup affects performance then I would say it is time to upgrade the server hardware...  Backups are important :)

7 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Depends on the size and architecture of the solution, the # of concurrent users and the server specs; so many variables.  Typically I keep the ideal backup strategy in mind when I choose the server so that server is up to the task.

If a backup affects performance then I would say it is time to upgrade the server hardware...  Backups are important :)

Thanks for your advise. I will give it a test :)

Not to belabor the point.  The typical conversation about setting up a backup strategy goes somewhat like this:

1) how much data are you willing to lose?  (= Restore Point. Because sometimes you may not be able to recover the live file like you've just done)

2) how fast do you want to be able to be up and running again?  (= Restore Time)

Based on the answers to that you know how set up the backup strategy with a mix of backup schedules, progressive backups, off-machine backups, off-site backups,... and from all of that you'll some good info to help pick the right deployment and machine.

• Like 1

This topic is 2978 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.