Use one record with multiple user

This topic is 2918 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to use same record with other user? basically i select the record using checkbox but if another user use the same record, A popup message appear saying you cannot modify this record.

That is the benefit of global fields - multiple users can enter their own values.  So insert the selected records' unique primary key into the global as a list instead.

Keep in mind that you will lose the list upon closing the file.  If you need to preserve the User's selections, there are methods to do so.  We need more information if so.  You can also have a regular field in the User table (users record) to hold their 'selected' values and it would be preserved upon close.  The best method will depend upon the purpose.

Edited by LaRetta

Isn;t it a good thing to not have two people modify a record at the same time? Which one is correct??

So, if User1 is already modifying the record, it is 'good' behaviour for User2 to be *unable* to do so....

Thank you for stepping in.  I obviously misunderstood the question, thinking instead that Chad wanted the ability for two users to select the same record's unique ID to perform some task or generate a 'list' from the primary keys.  Ooops!   :-)

So yes, I agree that FileMaker prohibits multi-user editing and that is how it should be.  Chad, if you can explain why you want this, it might help us come up with other approaches.  In fact, if you need this ability, it might even point to a flaw in your structure or at least suggest a rearrangement is in order.

This topic is 2918 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.