Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Struggling to see what I need to buy (FM Pro, Server etc...)

This topic is 2906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to FileMaker and do hope am posting in the right forum.

I have 2 clients that need solutions and was hoping to use FM to create the solutions.

1st client needs a iOS app that will be sold on the App Store, it's not really for the general public but for members of their site but thought the easiest way was stick it on the App Store.
For this client am presuming I need FM Pro Advanced and nothing else?

2nd Client needs a solution that 2 people will access but from any where in the world.
For this client am presuming I need FM Pro Advanced and a server hosted somewhere?

I have searched for the last few days, downloaded demos and read quite a bit and think FM will suit what I want. I know there is a big learning curve but hopefully it will be worth it.

Few other questions -

Can I create a standalone solution with FM Pro and install it on a clients machine to access FM Server?
Are there any recommended hosting companies for FM Server?
Do people buy FM Server or pay a hosting company who supply both hosting and the software?
Any recommended books or is it better using youTube etc..?
Is there any way of monthly subscriptions to get the software (similar to how Adobe charge)?

A little bit about myself -
Currently develop iOS apps using Corona SDK (Lua) and slowly learning Swift, been working in IT since 1989 using Dbase, FoxPro, Access, Visual Basic (in that order as well!).

Any help or tips all welcome.

Dave

Edited by theDaveB
Added a question

Welcom to the forums, Dave.

1. app store instructions

You'll want FileMaker Advanced regardless. I don't believe it's technically necessary for app builds, but you'll want it for the debugger. What you will need is the $99 Technet Developer membership to get the FileMaker SDK, and you'll need an Apple developer membership which it sounds like you might already have.

2. remote connections

FM Advanced is not required, but FM Server is. Use a FileMaker hosting company. There are only a handful out there. A few of them advertise on this site. See 4. below.

3. Can I create a standalone solution with FM Pro and install it on a clients machine to access FM Server?

You can create runtime versions (requires FileMaker Advanced), but they are truly standalone, they can't connect to FM Server. Also, the company (FMI) has announced that runtimes are deprecated. They are still an option in version 14, and may be in 15, but we'll have to wait and see. FileMaker Go can connect to server, or you can use WebDirect, in which case your clients will only need a supported web browser.

4. Are there any recommended hosting companies for FM Server?

I can personally recommend Foxtail and ODI.

5. Do people buy FM Server or pay a hosting company who supply both hosting and the software?

You won't need to buy Server if you use a hosting company, but you'll still need your own copy of FileMaker. Note that if you get the Technet Dev. membership mentioned above, it includes a FileMaker Server license for testing purposes, so you can get familiar with it.

6. Any recommended books or is it better using youTube etc..?

The FileMaker Training Series is very good, and FileMaker also has training videos.

7. Is there any way of monthly subscriptions to get the software (similar to how Adobe charge)?

Not for individual licenses. They do have annual licensing that is a significant savings, but you have to buy at least 1 Server and 5 Pro licenses.

HTH. Feel free to ask more questions -- but I recommend starting separate threads when you have this many questions, you'll get more responses that way.

• Like 1

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I did post this in the FM 14 general forum but it got moved here.

I will go through your answers to make sure I understand.

1. Do you mean the developer subscription? (£50 in the UK)

2. Right, so I need FM Server or better a hosting company.

3. Interesting, didn't know that about standalone runtimes, shame. Will have to use Web Direct and FM Go.

4. Will checkout the hosting companies, first one looks good as has EU hosting.

5. Like the idea of a test server.

6. I read the first book in the training series as it was free but to be honest didn't really learn anything from it. If I go the above subscription, you get the advanced book included.

7. Think am going to have to buy FM Pro Advanced. I notice a training company offering a load of training and FM Pro but think it was for a year and you had to keep paying yearly. Presume you are just using one of their many licences.

Very helpful, I was going to split it into operate threads but didn't want to look like I was spamming the forum with my first few posts.

Dave

1. Yes, the developer subscription. Sounds like you'll make good use of all the benefits.

6. The advanced book will probably be more your speed.

You might want to check out filemakerhacks.com and modularfilemaker.org.

If you can swing it, the FileMaker Developer Conference is a fantastic event for learning -- and includes a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced!

• Like 1

Ditto what Fitch says. I don't develop for a living but my business basically runs on a solution I developed. I had no knowledge of FileMaker Server. The developer subscription changed that. Now I've learned to write code better optimized for the network and learned about perform script on server as well as countless other things. It's not expensive although very limited in terms of concurrent connections so that type of license is not appropriate for enterprise solutions but it's fine for a one-man show. And it's also made me a FileMaker Server evangelist! LOL.

• Like 1

• Newbies
8 hours ago, Fitch said:

If you can swing it, the FileMaker Developer Conference is a fantastic event for learning -- and includes a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced!

Us brits couldn't handle Las Vegas in July! I remember going One year and got out of my car in the hotel car park and the heat hit me, I thought it was because I was in the car park and it was acting like a heat trap. How wrong I was when I ventured out of the front of the hotel!

Dave

This topic is 2906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.