Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Keeping track of meetings in a project

Lori

This topic is 2907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a projects database and a meetings database. these are separate files. In the meetings database I want to have one project (from the projects file) and all the meeting associated with that project. At the present time I have a layout  (Meetings) with the project number and name. What I want is to be able to create Meeting #1....Meeting #2....Meeting #3.

Then each meeting will have numerous topics, minutes, previous business, new business...

At this time I have the database set up so that each new meeting has to have a new record which includes the project number as well so that means I have numerous records for the same project.

I have a portal that has the minutes item number which I have attached a snapshot of below.

I hope I have described my situation clearly enough to get some feedback. the question is....am I on the right track or should I be structuring my database differently...

Tables: MeetingDetails, Minutes, Action Items

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lori

Capture.PNG

If you want to view all meetings associated with a given project, you should be using a layout of the Projects table (in Form View), with a portal to the Meetings table.

If you allow the Projects -< Meetings relationship to create new records on the Meetings side, you will be able to add new meetings to the current project by entering them into the first empty portal row (though you will not be able to add minutes for them there).

I would also suggest you use a single file unless you have compelling reasons not to.

1 hour ago, comment said:

If you want to view all meetings associated with a given project, you should be using a layout of the Projects table (in Form View), with a portal to the Meetings table.

If you allow the Projects -< Meetings relationship to create new records on the Meetings side, you will be able to add new meetings to the current project by entering them into the first empty portal row (though you will not be able to add minutes for them there).

I would also suggest you use a single file unless you have compelling reasons not to.

Thank you for the reply.

So, my projects is a separate file from the meetings. so can I have a project table in the meeting file that will import or somehow get the project numbers from the project file. I was asked to set it up this way.

We have: Projects, Communications, Contacts, Staff, and now Meetings. It all starts from the projects file (database) and relates out from there.

Lori

1 hour ago, Lori said:

can I have a project table in the meeting file

You can have a layout of the Projects table in the Meetings file - if you place an occurrence of this table on the relationships graph of the Meetings file, and define a relationship between it and the Meetings table.

1 hour ago, Lori said:

I was asked to set it up this way.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you keep it simple and place all your tables in a single file - esp. since you describe yourself as a novice.

This topic is 2907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.