Filemaker 15 - petition against new licensing model

This topic is 2587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Following the launch of the new version of filemaker 15, May 2016, the database becomes prohibitive for Filemaker developer, clients or hosting industry. This industry may cease to exist because customers simply all may migrate to other technology.
Help us convince Filemaker and Apple to reconsider their license business model and keep them at acceptable costs for customers and service providers.

https://www.change.org/p/philippe-waterloos-modification-de-la-licence-filemaker-15

I'd migrate away in a heartbeat if only there was a platform with mostly similar features. As I understand there are none at the moment, that's why they can keep the product horrendously overpriced. It's a small market so they probably don't care and growing with lowering prices is a huge risk and involves a lot of effort and they probably don't want to go anywhere out of their comfort zone.

• 9 months later...
On 5/18/2016 at 8:48 AM, Buckie said:

I'd migrate away in a heartbeat if only there was a platform with mostly similar features. As I understand there are none at the moment, that's why they can keep the product horrendously overpriced. It's a small market so they probably don't care and growing with lowering prices is a huge risk and involves a lot of effort and they probably don't want to go anywhere out of their comfort zone.

The only thing that is crazy expensive is the stuff FileMaker is no good at anyway; high load at high speeds. FileMaker is good at massaging small chunks of data visually, and for generating reports from smaller amounts of data( less than 10 million records ) not to mention the quick development of user interface for it's platforms. You are better off writing your own publish scripts to communicate with other databases for web such as: REDIS, PostgreSQL, couchDB, SOLR/elasticsearch. I write my publishing scripts in XSLT and use XML export to accomplish the action.

I believe the high prices is a polite way to say no interested in doing those features.

Edited by ggt667

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.