Runtime with external FM source - Catch 22 of errors when linking

This topic is 2891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am creating a run-time from two linked solution files but cannot get a working solution which references the linked file correctly. When I create the run-time if I attempt to add the linked file to the Solution Files list I get an error message that the file is either open or already linked to the primary solution file.

Of course if I leave it out and create the runtime anyway, when I open the generated run-time I get an error that the linked file cannot be found.

How do I get around this circular issue and why on earth won't FM let me include linked files in the Solutions list when generating the runtime?

Thanks

Runtimes are stand-alone only. They cannot be linked to other files.  You can, however, rebuild your solution so that the two files are converted to two tables in one file.

48 minutes ago, Lee Smith said:

No different issue. One is re-linking external data sources for a solution, this is related to generating a run-time from a solution that contains linked files.

3 minutes ago, doughemi said:

Runtimes are stand-alone only. They cannot be linked to other files.  You can, however, rebuild your solution so that the two files are converted to two tables in one file.

Good to know. I'm not too bothered what structure the output takes - I just want to be able to add both the primary and the linked file to the solutions list without FM popping up the error about files being open or already linked.

11 minutes ago, doughemi said:

No, that is not correct. A runtime solution can have multiple files.

Well I managed to get the linked file and the primary file into the solution list and am not exactly sure why or how because I didn't intentionally do anything different to the earlier attempts. I think it may have been because I did not set the Project folder and other settings until the files were added.

Problem is now the generation of the run-time has been running over a half hour and the dialogue gives no indication as to the activity or progress of the activity. Activity Monitor shows FileMaker running 2-4% CPU and 14 threads so its not exactly working hard to compile the runtime.

My primary file is about 75MB and the data file approx 6GB. The runtime engine processed that in less than 20 seconds but the second file has sat at status "Copying Solution Files... Creating File..." for over 45 minutes.

Any idea how long this process should take for a file of this size?

This topic is 2891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.