Remote Access Using Webdirect

This topic is 2852 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our Server is situated in the Office. We can all connect using Client and using the web browser by entering the address http://192.168.1.4/fmi/WebD#

But now, I want to be able to connect from home. I have checked the forum on similar topics on Port fowarding, so I tried configuring ours , my settings are shown on the screenshot attached.

We have Static IP Address for our Router (which is shown on the screenshot), however, I can't seem to connect. I don't know where I got it wrong, though my Router's interface settings are quite different from the suggestions posted on the forum.

portfowarding.png

Port 5003 will also have to be open on any firewalls.   I assume you are using http://51.58.58.251/fmi/webd   http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13806/~/opening-or-accessing-a-solution-using-filemaker-webdirect

If this is your public static-ip address make sure you enable security on all your databases since you posted on a public forum.

1 hour ago, shevyshevy said:

Our Server is situated in the Office. We can all connect using Client and using the web browser by entering the address http://192.168.1.4/fmi/WebD#

Confused by this.  "Client" means FileMaker Pro?  Then why use WebDirect?

The port you show is 5003 which is the FMP / FM Go port.  WebDirect uses the browser to connect to the web server so that would be either port 80 or 443 if you are using https.

13 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Confused by this.  "Client" means FileMaker Pro?  Then why use WebDirect?

The port you show is 5003 which is the FMP / FM Go port.  WebDirect uses the browser to connect to the web server so that would be either port 80 or 443 if you are using https.

What I meant is that we can access our database using both Pro and web browser only when connected to our office LAN...

Right now, I want to be able to connect from home or anywhere via the internet (using both Pro and web browser)

much depends on the make and model of the router on how to set it up correctly.  I don't think you need to fill in the 'remote host' part.

Check something like portforward.com to see if they have instructions for your router.

• Like 1

My network setup is something like this

Modem Router = Main Router = Server

I used the PFconfig tool from portforward.com to run a test on my network, it detected that it has Two Routers.. like I specified above.

It was only able to detect one of my Router's IP Address as 0.0.0.0 (which is strange to me though) and my Internal IP Address (that is my FMserver) but my external IP address and the Ip address of the second Router were not detected..

My confusion are as follows:

1. One of my Router IP address is 192.168.1.1 (Modem Router)  while Main Router is 192.168.100.254

2. Why is the tool detecting one Router's IP as 0.0.0.0?

3. The Portforwarding settings on the screenshot above was done on My Modem Router, Do I need to do another one on the Second Router?

8 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

When you have two routers there a dozen ways to do it.  Do you have firewall on for only the first or both of the routers?

Why the two routers?

Thanks for your reply..

Actually our internet modem is also a Router on its  own, but has only one switch Port for LAN.. So we have to get another Router (TP Link) which has four Switch ports for LAN.. Our Server is connected to One of those Ports, while the other three were used to connect some other Devices like our VOIP system etc..

The rest of the PCs access these resources via Wireless...

As for Firewall, both routers have their firewalls disabled at the moment, because we are still trying to get this to work..

6 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

You don't need a second router to get more LAN ports, just use a switch; it'll make your life a whole lot easier...

Yea I know that.. I have recommended that several times, but since I am a student, under internship, my recommendation may not carry that much weight..

I think the reason for the second Router is the fact that it has WIFI Enabled, so all PCs connect via that WIFI..

The First Router is just our Internet modem.. Just that it has inbuilt Router as factory default..

But right now, since I met the setup the way it is, how do we go from here?

I think you'll need to find a network savvy guy who can physically look at these things.  Every router has slightly different settings and wordings.

Any chance you can turn off the router part on the second router and just use its WiFi capability? 

On 6/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, Wim Decorte said:

I think you'll need to find a network savvy guy who can physically look at these things.  Every router has slightly different settings and wordings.

Any chance you can turn off the router part on the second router and just use its WiFi capability? 

I have removed the second Router completely.. So my network connection is like this:

Internet Modem (Router) = Switch = Server

I did the port forwarding all over again, leaving out Remote Host as suggested.. (TCP/UDP Port 5003)

Still havent been able to connect via FM Client nor web direct..

I have equally disabled both router firewall and that of windows on the server machine.. still no luck

Using the Portforward Utility tool from portforward.com, I was able to run a port check scan, and it came out that Port 5003 on UDP is Open, while on TCP, it says its already in use by a program.. (I am guessing that should be my FM Server)

Below are the observations so far from my trials:

1. With my initial network config of two routers, I used the DUC Client software from ww.noip.com , and while connected to our internet wifi network, I can access our database using web direct by imputing the address from noip.com client.   example, I used http://simpledata.noip.me/fmi/web

2. If I try to access the same url when connected to any other internet wifi network, I get redirected to our Router's login page

3. With the new network config or One Router = switch = Server, I get redirected to our Router's login page while trying to access that url, even while connected to our wifi network..

I don't really know what else to do..

This topic is 2852 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.