Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need expert help ..is it o or not?

Genelia

This topic is 2786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

HI to All,

Just recently i am moved from filemaker 12 to filemaker 14 and after migration found performance issues in application. Later  i got to know that as my layout is using Classic theme and now it is no more in fielamker 14, so i have to change it from classic to other available theme like Cond. dark, cool grey etc... Now i have lots of layouts and i have to change theme of each layout. But i want to keep same desiging of my layouts.  So what i am doing is:

1. Copy all content from layout,

2. then change theme from Classic to coll grey

3. Paste the content of layout..........

In that way design is keep same and theme is changing.

So am i doing right or not...will it affect my performace issue as theme has changed but design is same. Please advice?

Thanks,

it will affect performance, because you still have a lot of local formatting.

I would duplicate your original layout so that you can reference it (delete it when you're done with conversion). Return to the original (this is the one that your scripts point to) and change the theme. Then, create styles for each type of item and apply the style. The goal is to not have ANY local formatting. I've witnessed dramatic improvements in performance once I've done this.

Also, now that you're in FM14/15, there are so many new features to take advantage of: button bars, slide panels. You should think about a complete redesign (perhaps a layout at a time).

Once you have defined themes, it actually goes quickly.

• Like 1

Hi Genelia, 

Take a look at this video by Matt Petrowsky, ISO Magazine (Re)Theming Solutions. Another one is Creating Color Palettes which I also liked.

Changing one of the Default themes from our earlier files to a new one can be lot of work, IMO, it is the best approach that I have found that eliminates the hangover from those old themes.

HTH

Lee

Hi Barbara,

Yes you do need a subscription but, the it is reasonable priced at cost about $35 a quarter. You can preview the videos free.

IMO, once you subscribe you will find it a good investment. Your subscription is not limited, i.e., you can download any of the technique videos etc. that you choose. 

I’ve been a subscriber for over 12 years and have learned a great deal from Matt.

Lee

This topic is 2786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.