External Server authentication without a Group and Script based on User

This topic is 5775 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My first question is a little complicated mainly because I don't fully grasp how the network is setup. It's a university Active Directory network with 20,000+ names in the directory. I have a database which needs accessed by 200+ students each semester and I'd rather not create a group each semester.

Our department is running authentication through a Mac server which is connected to the active directory. For our normal FMP databases we can simply create a group on the Mac server and put the users from the active directory into that group. Is there a way to allow anyone in the active directory access to a file?

My second question would be how to script events based on who is logging in. For example, if the data entry person logs in, he gets the data entry layout, but if a student logs in to simply check a status, is it possible to lock them to a certain layout? Thanks!

Jon

Well there is no direct way to get the group Name of whoever logs in. You can get the Account Name and your can get the Privilege Set attached to the group. So if the Privilege Sets had a special custom extended priviege created, you can use the Get(ExtendedPrivileges) function to test for that. Will that help you?

Anyone whose Account is authenticated by Active Directory can access the FileMaker Pro files provided that Account is a member of a group recognized by FileMaker Server as being [color:red]in both the domain and the FileMaker Pro file.

For more information please see the Server External Authentication Tech Brief found on the FMI web site.

HTH

Steven

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

We are trying to do the same thing with 600 field stations in the Refuge System. We'd like to use information available in Active Directory to control how they interact with the application, but we haven't figured out a solution yet (I'm new to this forum)

- Gary

Hi gkrauss and welcome to the forums...

Have you taken a look at the Tech Brief that Steven posted yet? You can have your users belong to different groups in active directory. Then based off their groups, you could apply different FileMaker priv sets.

This topic is 5775 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.