Allocating Jobs to Groups?

This topic is 5547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I have just finished setting up filemaker Server 9 with external server authentication, and I am quite pleased with the results!

However, I have realised there is quite a substantial problem in my solution now. Basically, I have a "helpdesk" log where users can allocate tasks to each other. Then, depending on who is logged in, they will see any tasks allocated to them.

However, this used to work via a relationship involving an unstored calculation field with the formula "Get(AccountName)" which would return the account name. With the external server authentication however, the account names are the individual user accounts for windows (as used on the domain). Before, I had generic accounts like "Warehouse" and "Logistics". Now however, I have individual accounts with peoples names. I have two problems:

1. How can I allocate jobs to generic groups? My research has shown it is not possible to get the group name... Perhaps then using a privilige set name which is the same as the previous generic account names? i.e. a privilige set called warehouse, and changing the relationship to reflect this?

2. Alternatively, a better solution would probably be to allocate jobs to individuals i.e. allocate a helpdesk callout to John in the Helpdesk service department. However, since the accounts are administered on the filemaker server computer, how would I know the names of the accounts at any one time? Surely I cant have a value list reflecting all the people currently part of that domain... or can I?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jason V.

• 2 weeks later...

What you could use is get(privilegeSetName) as your group moniker. Assign each EA account with its own priv set, and name that priv set for the group.

As to maintaining a list of accounts: you can write a batch file or VBscript to extract the list of accounts from the domain. But that requires domain admin rights so it would be a security issue to build that into your solution (you'd have to store domain admin credentials somewhere).

This topic is 5547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.