Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening non FMP files from within the DB

This topic is 2903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I hope this is the right forum to post this.

Using FMP exclusively on Mac OS.

I want to be able to have a document on the HD and drop it on the DB somewhere (container field or?) to create a direct link to it so it can be opened (clicking it to open) from within the DB. 

I like to do the same thing for folders.

Is this possible?  And if so how?  If it is please remember, in your answer, that I am a FMP beginner. 

Container fields are the ones that can store files.  Note that you store something in a container, it does not remove it from your HD, it takes another physical copy to be stored in the db.  Unless you use "store only a reference" when you insert the file into the container.  But storing as reference does not work well if you the need to share your db with someone else.

To open the stored file you can us "export field contents" which has a option to automatically open the file.   Things like PDFs, movies and audio can show their content / play without having to export, for that look into the interactivity settings of the container fields.

For folders: all you'd need to do is store the textual path to folder.  You would however then do a little bit of OSX scripting  magic to open up the folder in Finder...

On 05/12/2016 at 2:06 PM, Wim Decorte said:

For folders: all you'd need to do is store the textual path to folder.  You would however then do a little bit of OSX scripting  magic to open up the folder in Finder...

Actually, you can use the OpenURL[] script step to open a folder - no OS scripting "magic" is required.

On 12 May 2016 at 1:06 PM, Wim Decorte said:

Container fields are the ones that can store files.  Note that you store something in a container, it does not remove it from your HD, it takes another physical copy to be stored in the db.  Unless you use "store only a reference" when you insert the file into the container.  But storing as reference does not work well if you the need to share your db with someone else.

To open the stored file you can us "export field contents" which has a option to automatically open the file.   Things like PDFs, movies and audio can show their content / play without having to export, for that look into the interactivity settings of the container fields.

Hi Wim,

Sorry for the delay, somehow I did not get an email that you posted. 

I managed the 'open folder option'  Thanks.

Where  do I find this "export field contents" option?

+-+

On 13 May 2016 at 0:57 AM, comment said:

Actually, you can use the OpenURL[] script step to open a folder - no OS scripting "magic" is required.

Hi Comment,

I did that and it works, thanks. 

Edited by ChangeAgent

This topic is 2903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.