QR Code to record stock

This topic is 2816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Im looking at introducing QR codes to the demo Inventory database supplied with Filemaker Pro 15.

This will enable me to generate a code per item/record. I will then print off the code to a DYMO label and stick it to the actual stock item.

I then would like to be able to have employees scan a code every time they use one of the products so that 

Filemaker then reduces the stock level by 1.

I would like to be able to open the Inventory DB and then activate a script that scans a QR code

then searches for the code/record and enters a new record in the stock transactions file adding a

number one to the units out field.

I plan to use Filemaker Go v15 for this on either iphones or ipads.

Im ok with generating the codes its just the script that scans the QR code I’m stuck on.

any help would much appreciated or Is there a demo file available that I can download to see how I need to set this up.

Edited by Lee Smith
Increase size of text to make more readable

I believe the filemaker FTS Advanced book has a fully worked out example.

http://www.filemaker.com/learning/training/fts.html

It's dirt cheap and you may get it for free if you are part of the FDS program.  If you are not part of FDS, it is well worth the $99 since you also get a copy of FileMaker Server for testing.

• Like 1

If you want to print barcode labels, you want to stay away from Dymo. Zebra printers and even Brother are much better. 

Scripting the process is not that difficult. Grab a pen and paper and figure out what you want to happen when the QR code is scanned. Scan it into a global field and parse the data out according to your needs.

• Like 1

Hi

Please can some one help me with a bit of scripting:

Im using the sample Inventory database that I have added a QR code for each Stock item. Ive then added a  button on my iphone layout that runs my attached script and adds a transaction record and enters 1 in the Units OUT field. This works ok when removing just one stock Item but not when removing 5 or 6 or adding 20 or 30 I have a problem.

Im not sure if this is the best course of action but I now have two different QR codes per item that either has IN_0000123 or OUT_0000123. If Im removing a stock item I would like to scan the OUT code and this then searches for the record and then gives me a option to create a transaction and enter a figure of items removed. The same with the IN code but this would add a figure in the Units IN field. Just need a bit of help on the script or if you can think of a better way.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 13.08.37.png

When you go to the "Product Details | iPhone" layout at the end, you don't have to perform a find. Presuming that layout is based on the same table occurrence as where the script started, it should still be on the same record.

What problem do you run into when dealing with several stock items at a time?

Having separate barcodes on a product for in vs. out is odd. Most applications use one barcode to ID each product, and users tap different buttons in the UI to indicate incoming vs. outgoing.

Hi jbante

the problems I found with just having my script reducing the total stock level by one every time a user scans a code is sometimes they might want to reduce the amount by up to 6 or if stock is being added then we can have 50+ items added at one time.

ive now changed the script to forward to a layout with a in and out field so they can enter a amount this seems to work better.

i have found logging in to the FM Solution slow on a iPhone when sharing from the demo application on my laptop.

im not sure what software I should purchase to roll it out.

FM Server? If so how many users or should I just have FileMaker Pro sharing it on my network.

i will have 5 or 6 users but probably maximum of 2 at anyone time using it. And I would like to automate a script to run at a certain time to check levels to email suppliers to replenish stock levels. Better still if I could open up a list view to supplies so they can check on stock levels via the web so they can control it.

would I need a copy of your barcode creator per user or just one for me who would create any new products.

You definitely want FileMaker Server. It's technically possible to serve files from FileMaker Pro (Advanced) on a laptop or desktop, but that isn't a robust solution for live applications. You can check the history on these forums or start a new thread for help setting up your automated scripts ("scheduled scripts" in the FileMaker Server vernacular).

If you choose to use Barcode Creator, the site license lets everyone in your organization use the same license. If you're the only person printing barcodes, you may be the only person actually using it; but anyone else in your organization would be just as welcome to use it.

This topic is 2816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.