Getting <CR> on xml export from windows Server

Devin

This topic is 1620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I'm exporting an xml from a script thats running on a Windows server it's adding <CR><CR> after each line.

It's not doing that when I export it local on OS X. I'm using the same XSL.

Any clue?

Thanks

I don't think it's going to cause an issue. But I'm more concerned with the change in behavior?

I would aspect to see the same thing regardless of platform.

The Win file you posted does have two CR and a LF characters between the lines. To be 100% sure of the source of the problem, could you perform the transformation and zip the result before doing anything else (not even opening the file)?

Edited by comment

(after examining the original file)

The file definitely has an extra carriage return. The actual sequence is 0D 0D 0A - that is, two carriage returns followed by a line feed.

I have seen a similar problem reported a few times before. Very few times - no more than 3 or 4 such reports over the last 10 years. I suspect this happens only on some Windows systems - though it's hard to be sure because so few people use XML/XSLT export. It would be interesting to see if the problem can be reproduced on other Windows systems.

Anyway, this is clearly a bug and I suggest you report it. I am not going to suggest a workaround, since the flaw is harmless in your case.

• 3 weeks later...

I made an addition/update to my article about an XML with XSLT export issue with Windows:

https://filemakerhacks.com/2012/09/23/export-field-contents-as-utf-8/

Several have found that Windows FileMaker has a problem with this method (XML/XSLT) and is exporting an extra carriage return between “lines”. This is an alternative method of using One Field Several Records and Export (as tab delimited). Using the single field or variable, loop to push the ‘lines’ (returns in field) to a temporary table and Export.

then I added a demo file.

It is a *known* issue in Windows only (per TS in FM Community forum). my demo only addresses the "Export Field Contents" and not XML with other XSLT (on Windows).

beverly

• 3 years later...

This topic is 1620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.