Desktop Rollout

This topic is 2705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

HI,

We're in the process of rolling out Filemaker Pro to our staff at the school. Is there an automated way (by running a script for example) whereby I can remotely log into all the desktops and connect the locally installed version of Pro to the server and the database, ready for staff members to login?

I'd rather not have to log into over 100 PC individually to connect them to the server.

Or is there a better way of doing this?

TIA

Ann

Hello Ann,

Let me see if I understand your predicament. Filemaker is already installed on these PCs but you need a way for the users to connect to the server without a lot of setup on their part. right?

If so you can distribute what is called an "Filemaker opener file" (Google it) or you can distribute a standard windows shortcut that has a target with this syntax:

fmp://servername/filename

• 2 months later...

HI,
Thank you for that. I've just looked at this and gone down the route of creating a file with a script. When I double click on the icon as it opens the file I get the attached error message. I've set the file sharing for the opening file to on. I'm not sure how I can get rid of this message?

TIA

StartFm file.PNG

7 hours ago, aguest said:

HI,
Thank you for that. I've just looked at this and gone down the route of creating a file with a script. When I double click on the icon as it opens the file I get the attached error message. I've set the file sharing for the opening file to on. I'm not sure how I can get rid of this message?

TIA

StartFm file.PNG

I think what Ted S was recommending was to create a shortcut to the URL, using a FMP URL scheme that would launch FileMaker and open your remote file from the server. This is like a bookmarked URL you would use to open a web page, and not an actual FileMaker file.

That could then be put on a shared file server, since FM isn't actually opening it, and it just launches FM to open the correct file. Does that make sense?

Mike

This topic is 2705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.