Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"no object DCH" error in Send Email function

This topic is 2784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When using the "Send Mail With Attachment" function, sometimes our users get an error like this:

javax.mail.MessagingException: IOException while sending message;
  nested exception is:
    javax.activation.UnsupportedDataTypeException: no object DCH for MIME type multipart/mixed; 
    boundary="----=_Part_11_1688622944.1473778079630"

This doesn't happen every time, and I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it. From looking around the internet, it sounds like it might be fixed by upgrading to a more recent version of JavaMail, but I'm not sure what version comes with ScriptMaster or if I can drop in a new jar and expect everything to continue working.

I found one old blog post suggesting that this has been an issue for a long time, but without a solution:

NOTE 3/14/13: The function provided in this example occasionally fails to send the message, encountering an error like “no object DCH for MIME type multipart/mixed.” I suspect the solution might be found in threads like this one, but I no longer use ScriptMaster and have thus not pursued any resolution.

Has anyone else encountered this error?

Hi ffg_ehall,

The mail.jar file looks to be JavaMail 1.4 so you can certainly add a newer version of JavaMail to the ScriptMaster file to see if it remedies the issue. Make sure that you check it under the Jars tab for the module.

• Newbies

Thank you, ryan. I replaced mail.jar with version 1.4.5, which is the latest version available directly from Oracle. Here is the download page for mail.jar 1.4.5 in case anyone else wants to try this. There are more recent versions from the open source development team that took over the JavaMail project from Oracle, but I wasn't sure how much else might have changed and didn't want to risk breaking something at this time.

It seems like switching mail.jar to 1.4.5 has fixed the problem for us, but the error is intermittent so we will wait a little while to see if it returns.

Is there a reason that ScriptMaster needs to ship with version 1.4, or could you update it to a more recent version? It might prevent this problem for other users.

Thank you again for your help.

I'm glad that seems to have fixed the issue. 

As for the older jar file, since those modules are intended for example purposes or to be built upon, they and their dependencies tend to be pretty static unless a bug is reported. I will add the updated JavaMail jar to the example file and it will be pushed to the store when the next iteration of ScriptMaster is ready.

Thank you for reporting the issue and let us know if you run into anything else!

This topic is 2784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.