Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SMTP with exg6.exghost.com

debi

This topic is 2676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've successfully tested the email plugin sending emails via both my business email (gmail) and a personal account (ipage). But I'm having difficulty getting this to work for a client who said she uses exg6.exghost.com.

Format I'm using is:

EmailConnectSMTP ( "smtp.exg6.exghost.com:465" ; "[email protected]" ; "password" ; "ssl=1" ; True ; True )

Have tried several port numbers, including 465, 587, 25; also no port. 

Errors include "Couldn't connect to host, port: smtp.exg6.exghost.com, 465; timeout 30000" and then "java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected"

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

debi

For those extra parameters, where you have True ; True, you will need to pass them in as key=value pairs. So like you have for "ssl=1". The needed parameters are going to depend on the mail server and I don't have any specific information on exghost. Once you have that set up, and if it is still not connecting, you can submit a bug report and that will send us log files that can help diagnose the problem. You will need to reproduce the issue and then you can go to Filemaker Preferences > Plugins > 360Works Email > Report a Bug.

Thank you Ben. I wrote to Appriver Support, asking how to set set the parameters for the EmailConnectSMTP functions, including the port, and whether I needed true or false for ssl, forcetrust, and tls settings. Here is their reply:

SMTP Server: smtp.exg6.exghost.com
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Authentication: requires authentication
SMTP Secure Connection: TLS (if TLS is not available, use SSL)

How would that translate to the plug-in function?

TIA,
debi

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to close out this issue. I tried "tls=true" and "tls=1" and a few other combinations of parameters related to ssl etc. Then I asked the client to verify that the account was working on their side. Apparently there was a glitch there, and once that was resolved, the code you gave me above was just perfect.  Thanks!

This topic is 2676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.