Server Maintenance This Week. ×

runtime limitations

This topic is 7973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am developing a client administration tool in FMpro5 macintosh, and I am exploring the web to find out what a runtime solution can do and can't.

First a dumb question, but perhaps not dumb after all (you know, dumb questions don't exist, only dumb answers..though forum administrators may have another opinion..)

Can a Macintosh create a runtime solution that can be used on Windows?

As for the limitations, I know this: (from filemaker.com)

Database design features are not accessible in the runtime application

But this puts up some questions too. Does it mean Lay-out mode is out of the question? As I am developing mail-merge functions (sending custom made bill's, etc) this might then be a draw-back.

Any comments are welcome. Must explore whether Developer 5.5 has a trial version, don't know yet

Harryk

Never used developer much, but I know that bound solutions are only single-user. Not very useful for office management software.

My application will be rather single-user. It is not for offices, not for networks, not for the web, but for teachers (first of all myself) having pupils, like music teachers, ballet schools, that sort of thing. Most users will have just a stand-alone computer. So a runtime solution is worth considering. But it's difficult to outweight the pro's and con's as there is not too much info on the web about the runtime limitations.

As I am now busy with the mail merge part, I think that it is almost impossible to manipulate the text, and to customize it, especially the combination of text with predefined fields without entering lay-out mode. Therefore I am curious whether lay-out manipulation is possible in a runtime solution. I fear... frown.gif

Harryk

You can edit layouts in a runtime file provided it is opened in FileMaker Pro with sufficient access privileges.

Here's an idea I've only toyed with, so use this information at your own risk: you can allow users to design their own layouts and protect your own at the same time through a clever combination of passwords and groups. The password would allow Design Layouts, but the group associated with the password would allow only read-only access to your "protected" layouts, and you can also prevent any access at all to sensitive fields. Again, I've only played with this; I haven't actually implemented this in any client files.

Probably your best bet if you want to give your users control over the layout of reports, etc. would be to create a two-step system where the user exports data in merge file format and then imports it into their favourite (MS) Word processor. You can automate this somewhat with Applescript on the Mac and (I imagine, but I'm not certain) with VB on Windows. In a set-up like this you would design a default template that users can duplicate and futz around with all they like.

SInce no one has yet answered your original question I will chime in.

A run time solution must be bound on the OS it will be used on. This means to make a windows RT you must bind in in windows, to make a Mac RT you must bind it on the mac.

But there are ways to make a Xplatform solution that can be run on both. Check the manual, I remember reading it there.

The easyest thing (IMO) is to bind a seperate Mac version and Windows version (If you don't have a PC, you can run VirtualPC, it works fine in a pinch).

1. Runtime solutions must originally be bound on the platform where they'll be used

1a. The Developer CD has both Mac and Windows versions on it.

1b. Don't use VirtualPC -- it has led to many problems for many people.

1c. Once you've created a bound solution, any updates can be bound one one platform and the files replaced if:

i. The filenames are the same.

ii. The binder key is the same.

2. Design features are available in the bound solution if opened withing Filemaker with correct access passwords, if when binding you don't check the "Permanently prevent modification..." box.

2a. I won't say never allow customers access to Layout mode, but ... well ... (almost) never allow customers access to Layout mode -- they're as likely to screw things up as anything else. If they knew how to do this, they wouldn't need you.

• 2 weeks later...

Runtimes can be hosted by FMServer5.5 Drawback to that is that all files will be viewed in the hosts box by the clients instead hiding those marked hidden . This is a nice thing considering that in some cases the runtime folder could be dragged to the desktop for user access on the server without buying FM Client for that box and keeping the filesharing turned off.

This topic is 7973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.