Create Password with Button

This topic is 2453 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

A little background

I have a DB which keeps users logins/passwords for a business so they have all their login information for everything at work.

My Issue

I need the user to be able to click a button that creates a random password and places it into the password field when the button is clicked. I am making a button like this for each sections password field. I know I need to make a calculation, I have made these types of scripts before. However, how do I get to a calculation to perform this action with a button in filemaker? I am sure this is so obvious I will slap myself but right now I am at a loss. Maybe I have been working on these 5 solutions too long and need a break. LOL

Any help, suggestions are very welcome...Thank you! =)

1 hour ago, VapanPagan said:

how do I get to a calculation to perform this action with a button in filemaker?

Use the Set Field[] script step:

Set Field [ YourTable::Password; << some calculation here >> ]

The actual calculation formula depends on what kind of password you want to create (how many characters, which characters to use, etc.).

• Newbies

So using the set field option will allow me to get to a calculation step with a button? AWESOME! See, I knew it was a simple method, just never had a need to do this before and was not sure. Knew what I needed to do, just not how to get there. Thanks! =)

17 hours ago, VapanPagan said:

A little background

I have a DB which keeps users logins/passwords for a business so they have all their login information for everything at work.

This is a very risky proposition from the standpoint of security Best Practices.

• How do you plan to protect this file from unauthorized access by external users?
  • How do you plan to protect the values in one user's record from being accessible by other authorized users?
  • How do you plan to protect the files these credentials activate from being manipulated and forced open?  That is to say, how do these credentials get transferred to the working files.

The FileMaker Platform has a very robust security architecture developed and refined over many versions and years.  I'd recommend you use that system and the protections it offers rather than some ersatz system.

Steven H. Blackwell

• Newbies

Mr. Blackwell,

What in tarnation are you talking about kind sir? What does "how to make a button produce a random password" have to do with your security issues. Trust me sir, as a UNIX Network Administrator with a $60k plus degree I am fully aware of and inpose all security measures where needed. Still not sure what this has to do with my question at all...

You are guessing at how I am using this button without having any idea...

In general, storing passwords in a database is a risky proposition. We often run into users/developers who employ such a strategy without knowing how to secure the data. There are several ways to access areas of the file, in an unintended manner. And if the privilege set allows access to the data, the user can get to other records. Also, still many don't use EAR, SSL, or common sense. ( obviously not implying that is you, but it's important that others reading this thread at least have the reminder ).

:angel:

As Joshua Ormond points out, keeping credentials as data elements in a FileMaker Pro file is not a good idea.  it can leave the information exposed and vulnerable to extraction by both authorized users and unauthorized users.

Some folks last year developed a somewhat similar system that rapidly came upon a bad end as Josh points out in his BLOG, Eye on FileMaker:

Additionally I have discussed some of these same items in various posts on my FileMaker Security BLOG:

https://fmforums.com/blogs/entry/1652-security-vulnerabilities-of-filemaker-platform-api’s-an-update/

https://fmforums.com/blogs/entry/1619-protecting-filemaker-platform-business-solutions/

https://fmforums.com/blogs/entry/1535-the-filemaker-platform-api’s-are-your-friends-right/

Steven

This topic is 2453 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.