Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Where is my value list being used

sal88

This topic is 2467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I've added a new table and field which needs to use a previously created value list called "clients for sorting". The VL will be used for data entry in the new table. To save clutter I would like to use (but edit) this VL instead of creating a near duplicate. I'm not sure where exactly this VL has been used up to this point but I am willing to trust my naming of it and say it is for sorting and not data input.

It is currently configured to show both the first and second fields, and to sort values using the second field. I want to change it so that it only shows the values from the second field (for the new table/field).

Two questions:

1. If I do make the change to the VL, is it possible that it will alter the sorting script/relationship that has been using the VL up to now?

2. Is there a quick method, or utility, to find out where the VL is being utilised?

Many thanks

1. Yes, and data you enter after the change will be field 2, whereas existing records would have values from field 1.

2. You should update your user profile so we know what FileMaker version you have. If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can run a Developer Design Report which will list references. However, it's much easier to get this info if you import the DDR into a tool such as Inspector, BaseElements, or FMPerception.

Thanks Fitch. I'll create another VL, and check out the developer design report. Excited and nervous about what I will find :D

This topic is 2467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.