Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Noob-publishing

This topic is 2460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not a noob at FM, but never did anything on the web with it. I'd like to put a FM file on a web space (like where my homepage is) and access that with my desktop or my phone. This is only personal data used only by me.

Searching turns up a lot of info on hosting services, FMS, and stuff I don't understand. In the manual I found what sounded right (using an URL) but I couldn't get it to work. Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Stefan

Define "access that with my desktop/phone": do you mean opening it with FMP/FM Go or did you mean for that database to be web-published and access it in the browser (WebDirect, CWP)?

If you want to access it with FMP/Go then it won't work.  Putting a binary file on a web server is not like file sharing.  Access to the web server is through the HTTP/HTTPS protocol.  FMP and FM Go use their own protocol which is why it requires a FM Host to make it available through that protocol.

If you meant WebD/CWP then you'll need FileMaker Server too.

Thanks Wim,

actually I don't care which way as long as I can access the data. I thought it might work with GO, but if it doesn't then GO isn't as great as I thought it was. Buying FMS just to access a file is overkill for me.

So, as disappointing as the answer is, I'm glad I know and I don't have to dig any further. I probably end up having a copy of the file on my phone and use GO anyway, then update the two files every so often - hassle....

Thanks,

Stefan

This topic is 2460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.