Dashboard Charts

Courtney

This topic is 2456 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to put more than one chart on a layout showing different things? For starters, management would like to see 3 pie charts of the same data, sorted differently: one to show sales proposals by salesperson, one to show them by contracts staff (person doing the paperwork), and one to show their type (new proposal vs change order).

It doesn't seem that I can put charts in portals, so are there other options without plug ins?

20 minutes ago, Courtney said:

management would like to see 3 pie charts of the same data, sorted differently:

I would suggest you script the process: sort the data one way and write the chart data to variable/s; repeat with different sort orders and then show the charts based on those variables.

A technique known as Fast Summaries may be helpful in this process. Or use the ExecuteSQL() function to populate the variables.

24 minutes ago, Courtney said:

It doesn't seem that I can put charts in portals

How would that help with the current problem?

15 hours ago, comment said:

I would suggest you script the process: sort the data one way and write the chart data to variable/s; repeat with different sort orders and then show the charts based on those variables.

A technique known as Fast Summaries may be helpful in this process. Or use the ExecuteSQL() function to populate the variables.

How would that help with the current problem?

I thought if I could create a few portals on a page, and sort them differently, then I could put a chart in each one (sorted by salesperson, sorted by contract staff, sorted by type).

I'll look for info on charting by variables. I know I saw it as an option but wasn't clear on how that worked.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Courtney said:

I thought if I could create a few portals on a page, and sort them differently, then I could put a chart in each one

That wouldn't work any way you look at it, because (a) portal sorting is done at the layout level and the chart has no access to the sorted data; and (b) a portal - or the underlying relationship - can sort, but they will not summarize.

1 hour ago, Courtney said:

I'll look for info on charting by variables. I know I saw it as an option but wasn't clear on how that worked.

It's actually very simple. Set your chart to use data from current record (delimited data). Then make sure you have two variables containing, for example:

$$labels = 

Adam
Betty
Cecil

$$data =

and use them as the pie chart's category labels and slice data, respectively.

• Like 1

This topic is 2456 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.