Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Values to use for $$MIRRORSYNC_USERTOKEN

This topic is 2431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I need to start filtering syncs to prevent some users (not all) from seeing commercially sensitive data. 

Currently all my remote (MirrorSync) users log in to the solution with the same 'sales' account, and all users get all data.

I need to define what to use for  $$MIRRORSYNC_USERTOKEN for filtering.

Would best practice be to create FM accounts in the solution for each user in the system (I have 3 files and 18 remote users so that would be almost 60 passwords to maintain, and growing), then use the get(accountname) as the  $$MIRRORSYNC_USERTOKEN?

Or should I build some kind of 'Accounts' table for them to authenticate against after they login, and use a username field from that table?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks,

ft.

Hey FT,

I believe how you choose to customize the usertokens comes down to how much control and granularity you want as an administrator.  The most straight-forward way (and perhaps the most time consuming) is having a separate account for every user. With as many as you have, you may benefit from having user groups, whereby all sales people share a sales account, and all IT guys share the IT account.

If having your users use different accounts is inconvenient, you may have to get creative as to how to distinguish one user from another.  FileMaker has a fair bit of metadata available to help you achieve this, but I can't think of a way off the top of my head. With enough creativity and effort, a developer may be able to come up with a custom script to perform this authentication process (similar to the "Accounts" table method you suggested).

As always, if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to call or email us. If developing a custom script sounds like something you're interested in having a developer do, I can always get you in touch with our project manager.

Good luck on your project,

Junior Perez

770.234.9293, [email protected]

Hey FT,

Reading through this post again, I wanted to add that the MIRRORSYNC_USERTOKEN variable doesn't have to be defined. You can directly make calls such as Get(AccountName) and incorporate conditions in your scripting appropriately. The usertoken is just a variable reserved for storing other metadata/parameters you want to use when customizing your scripts.

Junior Perez

This topic is 2431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.