Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do you set up a Container Field for Drag and Drop

This topic is 2229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I would like to set up an existing Container Field to store the files inserted by Drag and Drop as reference only.

I've looked at the FileMaker Help for container fields, and the External Storage method seems to be the what I need, but I'm lost.

Currently, I have script steps that use AppleScript from way back provided by Fenton. When we upgraded from fp7, it stoped working so I have been inserting them manually.

I'm in the process of updating a file that the old links were broken because of a Hard Disk Failure. would like to automize this process.

The files are NOT in a single folder, but are kept in individual folders that are tied to different clients.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA

Kelsey

A couple of notes/thoughts:

1. Store by reference is a deprecated feature. Which means, as of FM 16, it is still in the product, but will eventually be removed. I would be very careful with relying on that functionality.

2. External Storage for containers is not the same thing as Store by Reference. External Storage has FMS setup and maintain folders on the server. They should NOT be touched by users, ever. For a variety of reasons, it will cause serious risk to the operation of FMS and the container files themselves.

3. Using External Storage may be very beneficial for you. It avoids the problem of the links being broken. And at the same time, doesn't bloat the file size by storing all of the files in the database file.

• Newbies

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I need to figure out what this mean and how I can reestablish the links without manually going through and inserting the references.

Kelsey

In order for FM to re-establish the links on it's own, they need to be in the same path/folder structure they were in before. The path will then resolve, and FM will see the file. Or you have to do it manually. I've not see a good way to do it. You might be able to have a script go through the records and grab the old path, and then try to insert the file into the database.

From there, you have a decision to make. About how you will handle it long term.

12 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I'm in the process of updating a file that the old links were broken because of a Hard Disk Failure. would like to automize this process.

I don't see what this has to do with any of your other questions. To restore the links, you should import the entire folder (or folders) of images - see:
http://www.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fimporting-folder.html%23

In this process you get the option to import the images as reference only.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I have the same requirements as Kelsey does of needing to import word documents into a container by drag and drop but store in a remote location

I don't really follow what the store by reference concept that is to be removed means.

What I have is an NAS where I am storing documents and only storing the filepath in Filemaker to avoid bloating the file.

Is it possible to drag and drop, have Filemaker store it in my desired location (so move the file or copy it to that location) and then display it?

If so, what about dragging multiple files?

Joseph

@eyedoctor

Are you using FileMaker Server? It has a Remote Containers feature.  The caveat, and it's a big one, FM needs full control over the save location. It needs to not be touched by users directly. All interaction needs to happen through FileMaker, so that is can maintain the path and location of the file.

PS...if you update your version of FileMaker in your profile, it helps us answer questions that may be version specific.

Thanks for response.

Using FM server and I am currently scanning documents onto an NAS via Filemaker ( to a custom location) and using the file path to display the scanned document in a container field.

What I would like to do is Drag and drop into the container field (not import via script) to save time as I have thousands of documents to import

Joseph

This topic is 2229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.