Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need more input on Filemaker Cloud and AWS

Genelia

This topic is 2421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi to All,

I am looking for services for taking virtual space for my filemaker server and filemkaker pro (Through citrix, user connected ). I am exploring the things. 

After checking difference between  filemaker cloud and  own installed Filemaker server. I concluded myself to use virtual space by taking AWS services and install filemaker server.

Still i want to clear few doubts on filemaker cloud:

1. Filemaker does not support  schedule server scripts but have option to user perform script :what do you mean by that(is it we can schedule filemaker scripts by perform script step but it does not support system level scripts?)

as current we are using Citrix platform for users to give then access.

2. Is citrix supported by AWS , if yes how much cost( there are total 55 files on our 2 filemaker servers and around 2000+ uses using it but simultaneous users are not more than 100+)..what are the other alternative of Citrix?

Thanks in Advance,

Hi Genelia

1. Scheduled FileMaker scripts is not supported by FileMaker Cloud. Backup schedules are not supported either. For backups, FileMaker Cloud are using snapshot feature of AWS. System level scripts are not supported.
I know that FMI has stated that they are looking into server side schedule of FileMaker scripts, so that might come in the future. Only way to trigger a server side script currently, is to have a robot machine, firing a PSOS script.

2. With the amount of users, you state here, I think Citrix is the best option. They have a proven track record for great products. I know that Parallels have a similar product, but haven't tested that. AWS also have a similar service, though when I tried it, it was not really mature enough. You can search AWS marketplace for products, including Citrix. https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/

2 hours ago, Genelia said:

2. Is citrix supported by AWS , if yes how much cost( there are total 55 files on our 2 filemaker servers and around 2000+ uses using it but simultaneous users are not more than 100+)..what are the other alternative of Citrix?

AWS has a couple of interesting alternatives. Check into Workspaces and Appstream 2.0.

Appstream is particularly interesting, as it can scale automatically, so you only pay when users are connected.

Also, if you FM Server (cloud or regular server) is also in AWS, then your network latency between server and client is extremely low. You can have both client and server in the same region and VPC.

Mike

Have a look at our hosting services as well:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide fully managed virtual machines with full FileMaker Server installs for competitive rates, without AWS' confusing charges.  This arrangement gives you *all* FileMaker Server 16's features, as well as gains you knowledgable support.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.

- John

On 9/1/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mike Duncan said:

AWS has a couple of interesting alternatives. Check into Workspaces and Appstream 2.0.

Appstream is particularly interesting, as it can scale automatically, so you only pay when users are connected.

Also, if you FM Server (cloud or regular server) is also in AWS, then your network latency between server and client is extremely low. You can have both client and server in the same region and VPC.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you provide any link/video which shows "How Filemaker server deployed on virtual space( is it simple as we do it on our Servers?) and user connected to files .2.  If i choose virtual space of AWS , will i fully granted to use my filemaker server process (like backups/ server maintenance etc..) 3. If i want/planning  changes in file functionalities..will it simple as well with Server running and users using and same time i am doing my changes? (Isn't like i have to down the server then do change(even it very small change like to edit value list or change labels of design).

How much will it cost?

Thanks,

This topic is 2421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.