Quartile Ranks

This topic is 2390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stumped. I need a calculation that will return the quartile rank for a record within a set. I was able to easily do this in Excel, but not so sure how to do this in FileMaker, or if it is even possible to do so. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

For example: I have 14 records. I need to know in which quartile they ranked in based on the amount of their contributions. 

Kims,

What do you wish to do in case of tie?  For instance, two identical amounts can actually appear in different quartiles - the first being in section 3 (for example) and the next duplicate in section 4.  Sorting, of course, sorts by Amount but then by order of creation.  If you wish ties to hold the same quartile number, it might get more complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I got that to work, but what if I need to figure out quartiles for multiple fields? So I have the quartile rank based on contribution. Then I need another quartile rank based on account balance. Then another quartile rank based on number of people. 

1 hour ago, kims said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I got that to work, but what if I need to figure out quartiles for multiple fields? So I have the quartile rank based on contribution. Then I need another quartile rank based on account balance. Then another quartile rank based on number of people. 

Then use stored number fields instead of calculation fields, and set each quartile field in a script that does separate sorts before setting each quartile field. A script also potentially makes it easier to handle ties, to address LaRetta's point.

Edited by jbante

This topic is 2390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.