Active window

This topic is 2290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database I maintain that was originally designed with 3 filemaker files.

I'm trying to update the Navigation using a Button bar.  This bar is common across the 3 files in most layouts.

The difficulty I'm having is that when navigating away from one file to the other the app seems confused as to which is the Active window.

The active and rollover states seem to think the previous window (file) is still active.

Is there some scripting action that will make it obvious who is the active window now?

Thanks Lee, that's precisely what I have, but let's pretend Button B goes to FM file B.  So instead of a single step "change layout", there's a script that calls a script in FM B that selects layout and resizes.

This file has the same Button Bar.  Button A goes back to FM file A in the same manner.

In this case the states don't seem to behave properly.  

Edited by jimlongo

You should be able to repurpose your buttons.

Why not post a copy of your file where I can see the schema better and see your scripts.

Either make a mockup of your file, or a No Record clone, see the Anatomy of a Good Topic  on how to do this. If you have a problem, contact me by Private Message.

Lee

Thanks for your offer Lee.

I studied the scripts more carefully, and found that when the button switches to another file, if I switch to another layout and back I can in essence refresh the window so that it recognizes button states.  Add a Go To Object to make the Current button "In Focus" and it visually works.

The only sequence where this doesn't work fully is when you switch from Contacts to Referrals.  In this situation the Contacts tab doesn't recognize the rollover state.

I'm sure this is all way too convoluted, but it's a very old solution and I'm doing this as part of ditching the old classic themes throughout.

Open the file "therapists".  Each file basically has 2 layouts (details and list view).  12 possible navigation possibilities for the button bar.

Edited by jimlongo

Why the three different files - They all look the same even but are labeled different? 

OOPS - Never mind, I see they are related files now.

is there a reason for the different files, why not Table Occurrences?

Edited by Lee Smith
changed the wording

Hi Jim,

IIUC, Each button should have all the states in order to for them to show them to display as Active, Inactive (pressed, hover and in focused). You do not show a state for the Layout button on the current layout?

Active State should be (in your file case) the Current layout.

You do this after the buttons and scripts are finished. then one - by - go to each he button and (be sure to move to the proper layout) and copy the name in the Active Segment (drop down menu) Name. they currently show None.

I hope you can understand my posts, it is past my bed time, and I catching all kinds of errors. I'll revisit this in the a.m. when I have had a cup of coffee.

Lee

I'm off to bed in a few, however I think I missed read this.

10 hours ago, jimlongo said:

The difficulty I'm having is that when navigating away from one file to the other the app seems confused as to which is the Active window.

The active and rollover states seem to think the previous window (file) is still active.

I looked at the Eternal Data Sources and I need to look at these in the day light. 

Later,

Lee

9 hours ago, Lee Smith said:

is there a reason for the different files, why not Table Occurrences?

Unfortunately this project is inherited from the original designer (whereabouts unknown), and I've never understood why it was structured this way.

As much as it would make life easier, there is no budget to consolidate the structure.

Edited by jimlongo

This may be the issue.

Button bars often have their active segment set to a $$var. When that $$var=a button's name (as specified in the inspector "object name"), then that button is considered "active" and renders according to the assigned style's active specs. Lots of pieces all come together.

If you have two windows open, then they are both looking at the same $$var. What you need is a window-specific $$var. I believe Wim D. calls these "named buckets." (see soliant blog) So, rather than $$var, use $$var (code(get(windowname)). Now the $$var is window specific.

This topic is 2290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.