Find empty records with missing data

This topic is 2217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking for some advice, I am working on a database to track order activity form the time an order was generated to the time the order was delivered to the customer e.g. date and time for when entered, when printed, when sent to warehouse, when picked, also for each instant there is a start entry and end entry. then a calculation for the time each instant took.

I would like to create a script that would find all records that contain empty fields (except calculations and auto entered fields), I know I can perform a find instant for each field using "=", but is there an easier way than to have about 160 find instances.  

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by JMart

If the field need data, moving forward you should probably trap for that as the records are being created by the user.

For what you have now you could write a looping script to do what you want.

Hi JMart,

Why not post a copy of the file? The Guideline explains how to deal with confidential information if your are concerned about that.

8 hours ago, JMart said:

have about 160 find instances.  

I hope this isn't really 160 fields.

A script like this should work (test on copy of DB).

Go to Next Field //To select any field
Set Variable [$field; Value:Get(ActiveFieldName)] 
Freeze Window 
Enter Find Mode [ ] 
Loop 
Set Field ["="] //Don't specify a field
   Go to Next Field 
   Exit Loop If [$field=Get(ActiveFieldName)]//Exit loop after you looped thru all fields and return to the first field.
   New Record/Request //Create an 'or' Find
End Loop 
Perform Find [ ]

It would help to make a layout from the same TO and only put in the fields you want to search.  Then the first script step would be to go to that layout, and the last script step would be to return to the original layout.

I still believe preventing the user from creating a record and not being allowed to leave any field blank that should contain data.

Edited by Steve Martino
typo
  • Thanks 1

This topic is 2217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.