Sliding!

suzieyoga

This topic is 2178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a list of things that I sell. The list is in the Body. Above the Body is a sub-summary by item category.

Everything in the body is set to not print. I grouped everything in the body. Sliding is based on 'all above' (house this doesn't make a difference); and I checked resize the enclosing Part.

Below the Body is another Sub-summary by Item Number (this pulls in the Item descriptions).

Then, I sort Item Category, and then Item Code.

And then, everything works, which surprised the heck out of me. Except sliding is goofy, so I looked carefully for any stray element but found nothing.

FileMaker Pro AdvancedMTP002.pdf

The ideas I have for finding the issue involve the location of the two fields that summarize item quantity, which I put in the bottom sub-summary in place of the item qty that appears in the body,  and the summary of the extended costs, which I put in a trailing grand summary. Both of these are Summary fields, which seem straight forward.

And now have no idea what to do next?

Steve: Because I do need to see the body when working on the file. But I could make a different version of the layout with your suggestion.

Lee: These layouts are part of a very big dataset that my husband has been accumulating for years and doesn't want to post publicly while I try to help him, with help here. Maybe there's a different way? I could email after learning your email address; I am suzie (at) postures (dot) com.

Meanwhile a couple of more screenshots that might be helpful, I hope. I think I'm *almost* there. This seems like it would be a common problem.

FileMaker Pro AdvancedMTP005.pdf

FileMaker Pro AdvancedMTP003.pdf

The screen shots don't really help as they don't show the objects marked for sliding.

You could make a clone of you DB and add some fake data.

You can also change the body part to another sub summary, and sort by that also for viewing, then omit that sub summary in the sort when you print.  

7 hours ago, suzieyoga said:

These layouts are part of a very big dataset that my husband has been accumulating for years and doesn't want to post publicly while I try to help him, with help here

I understand your concerns, however the more we know about you schema, the better we can help you. The Anatomy of a Good Topic which I linked in my first Personal Message to you, (now called Guidelines) explains how to post a mockup or copy of a file.

Lee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean West said:

all text objects and fields must be top aligned not middle otherwise they will not slide.

I never knew that.  Didn't see it in the documentation.

I also seem to notice if you hide an object, based on a condition, the blank space it occupies doesn't slide.

it should i use that technique all the time - when you mean HIDE are you using conditional formatting or hide object when?

- also do one more thing... 

Set the Layout setup to this as well.

Delineate Field frames will cause with sliding and your field borders from displaying. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.48.41 AM.png

User error! lol

I meant Hide Object When.   But after giving it another hard look, it appears to work fine.  I wasn't considering the space between the top and bottom of the field being hidden that gave it the appearance it wasn't sliding when hidden.  

This topic is 2178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.