Deployment Advice

This topic is 2164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

Need some advice, I am in the process of creating an app for job tracking in a factory production environment, the job flow had approximately 15 stations. Each station would login and logout the job as the flow moves between station. 

I would love to deploy the solution by installing an iPad on each station but that would never fly due to cost, also installing a workstation on each station is not an option due to space constrain.

is there an option for me to be able to deploy using android tables, or does anyone know is a low cost 10" Windows AIO with touch screen I can use in a industrial environment.

Thanks

Hi JMart

You could design your solution to work in WebDirect, and therefore use any modern supported browser to access your FileMaker solution. Doesn't matter what platform so long as the browser is supported.

FYI, iPad 6th Gen are under $300 each I believe, not sure what you would expect to pay for other devices, but an iPad in a robust desktop bracket/stand would be under $400.

• Thanks 1

an FMGo solution might be more ideal then web direct as browser sessions will tend to time out and users will have to repeatedly log in. Just depends on the tasks and information needed. 

I agree, if iPads ARE affordable then using FileMaker Go would be preferable, as it gives you access to may of the iPads built-in features (camera, signature boxes, different keyboard options etc), and in most cases would make life much easier for the developer than using WebDirect.

As for workstation space constraints, I've got a Lenovo ThinkCentre on my desk that's not much bigger than an Apple TV. And there are many similar PCs, or the Mac Mini. Can you really not put a PC on the floor? In any case, by the time you add a screen it doesn't seem like the cost would be much different than an iPad -- Apple's got some refurbs in the store today for $309.

This topic is 2164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.