Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Partial sync

This topic is 1886 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

From the documentation

Can I have different sync scripts to sync different tables? 

Yes. Since MirrorSync 3 and later have the ability to have multiple configurations per database, you can do this. For instance, you could have a 'full sync' which syncs all tables in both directions, and then a 'save work order' sync which would only sync a handful of tables one-way from the offline device to the server. You could then attach the 'save work order' script, which would be very fast, to a script trigger that runs whenever a work order is completed.

How does it work exactly ?

Should I create a new configuration in mirrorsync without any device registrations on it , copy the scripts and use them to sync instead of the main sync script ?

Hello,

So in order to achieve this you would need to add a new configuration.  You can either use the layouts from your already setup syncing configuration or you can create new ones.  Pick only the subset of tables you want to sync in this new configuration.  Once you are through the configuration process you will have  a new set of scripts to paste in for this configuration.  You can then set whatever workflow you want to use the new sync configuration to an action or a specific button.  Redistribute the offline files and begin syncing this newly setup configuration.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Thank you!

Joshua

6 minutes ago, Joshua Rivers said:

Hello,

So in order to achieve this you would need to add a new configuration.  You can either use the layouts from your already setup syncing configuration or you can create new ones.  Pick only the subset of tables you want to sync in this new configuration.  Once you are through the configuration process you will have  a new set of scripts to paste in for this configuration.  You can then set whatever workflow you want to use the new sync configuration to an action or a specific button.  Redistribute the offline files and begin syncing this newly setup configuration.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Thank you!

Joshua

Thanks

What about device registrations ? 

Do I need to double the device registrations ?

If I sync using config 2 will the records be marked as synced for config no 1

What about device data ? Is it shared among the configs.

I'm a bit confused 

So your device allocations are for the license, not the individual configurations.  If you have 5 people that need to sync, regardless of the configuration they are wanting to sync then you only need 5 devices allocated.  As far as your other questions it might be easier to see what use case are you trying to achieve and I can help explain how to get there.  

11 minutes ago, Joshua Rivers said:

So your device allocations are for the license, not the individual configurations.  If you have 5 people that need to sync, regardless of the configuration they are wanting to sync then you only need 5 devices allocated.  As far as your other questions it might be easier to see what use case are you trying to achieve and I can help explain how to get there.  

We have some sort of an invoice that the customer needs to sign.

It's created on the device and needs a serial number that we get back from the server in the sync customization script.

The problem is that a full sync can be quite a long process (customer is waiting for the sync to finish) and it's not needed just to get the serial number. So what I want to do is to sync only the invoice record to get the serial number and sync the related records later at the end of the day.

I guess that we may use the filemaker data api to get it but I would rather use mirrorsync.

Edited by sfpx

Ok, so that is pretty easy to do.  All you would need is another configuration for FM Server to FM Pro/GO.  Setup this new configuration to only sync the tables/layouts needed for this workflow you described.  Once the configuration is setup and the new script steps are copied over, you can trigger the sync to occur to a specific button or action that syncs this small data set up to the hosted solution and then gets the serial number written back to the user.  Please let me know if that answers your question.  Thank you!

• 6 months later...

Joshua,

At one time I thought there was a caveat to the full sync configuration and partial sync configurations setup that's referenced below.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:30 AM, sfpx said:

For instance, you could have a 'full sync' which syncs all tables in both directions, and then a 'save work order' sync which would only sync a handful of tables one-way from the offline device to the server

They way I understood it was that this would work, but its false to call it a 'full sync'. That your full sync could not contain the tables that your partial sync was using. Or is the trick that the full sync has to be both directions and the partial sync has to be one way only. I have wanted to implement this feature but during initial setups it didn't work well for me so just left it alone and stayed with a full sync. 

Thanks

Nate

This topic is 1886 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.