Local or ISP?

kurt69

This topic is 8245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am pretty sure that this is a very easy question but I never worked with the web feature of FileMaker so... A friend of mine wants to publish his FileMaker database on the web. Big question: is the database on the website server at his ISP or is the database itself on his mac (meaning that he needs a connection between the website and his local FM database)? He doesn't have a static IP address so it is impossible for him to get a constant link between his website and his Mac.

Hi, The machine that the FMPro unlimited database is on must have a fully qualified DNS record or static 'legal' IP address, so for you this looks like hosting it at the ISP.

The only other way is to have it on an internal network and open up a route through a firewall.

Regards, Jeff

If you have the FMI manual, check chapter 14. You Must have the web server (unless using WSC) running FM Pro unlimited, with a Static Real IP address, along with the databases being open and web companion being enabled.

It is not an access DB, you cannot have a DB just sitting on the server, it is an active connection.

This topic is 8245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.