Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Finding with a List of values

Wickerman

This topic is 2051 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a global field, call it "Loans" that holds a list of return-separated ID values created during a library check-out process.  As part of a script that takes the user to a list of those items, I would like to go to the new layout and perform a Find using that list of values.  Can someone suggest the simplest way to do that?  I know I can base a relationship on this 'Loans' field and use 'go to related records' and that will work, but there are some other complexities that arise if I take that approach involving navigation, and I'd rather not add another TO for this little task. 

I suspect that as usual there must be a simpler way I'm overlooking?  Thanks!

Well the relationship method would be the easiest.  What are the complications?

You could make a looping script that would take your list of ID's with entering find mode, set field, new record request, set field, etc. until you entered all the fields then perform find.  I don't know if you can only make so many find requests.

Okay, I tried the relationship approach because I need two things to be true: the Call # of the book has to be in this "Loans" list, and a field called "New" has to be ticked, because I want only the records of the just-made loans to appear (not all past loans of that book).   SO I create a version of the Loan List layout based on the TO the relationship points to, and it works okay . . . but then a button on the line-item record that takes you to the full details on a Form View layout via GTRR doesn't work, because this TO isn't related to that layout.   The original context of the relationship is a Global table I'm using for managing the checkout process.  Does that make sense?  I feel like I get stranded . . . but now I think of it, maybe I just change the button on that layout to go to the proper layout and perform a Find, instead of using GTRR!   Does that make sense?

This topic is 2051 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.