Quick find numbers wildcard

This topic is 1975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi every one,

I’d recently been asked by a client to build an alternative method for FileMaker Quick find.  The native FileMaker quick find use word-based search while there are lots of situations that users need to search for only a part of a word like a wildcard search. Also, you can not use FileMaker Quick Find on solutions that requires hiding the status area or when you open your solution on FileMaker go.

Here is a blog post explaining two different techniques used to achieve a user-friendly quick find solution in FileMaker:

https://iavenue.ca/filemaker-quick-find-alternative/

I hope these methods can help you with developing more robust and user-friendly solutions. Please spread the word if you think it can help other developers too!

I am open to any comment or advise to improve the file.

Thank you.

Thanks for offering an alternative. I am sure you are trying to be helpful.

But this thread is about trying to solve a big shortcoming in using QuickFind, and not about alternatives. FileMaker should work on removing the product bugs, and I wouldn't mind getting no new features for a few releases, just bug fixes. FIleMaker should work on things that should work, but aren't, or only "half". And watch for inconsistencies, and make them consistent.

We are always trying to get around them, and this gives birth to alternative ways of doing things, while they should have worked correctly to begin with.

Of course this would be a problem for marketing, and this is not the way the world turns today. The next version of FIleMaker will have a ton of new features with oooos and aaaaas and a lot of unsolved bugs.

I tried to read the blog post, but after waiting for it to load for a minute or so I gave up. That's generous considering a lot of people loose interest after 15 or 20 seconds waiting.

Maybe the blog got bogged down because everyone was trying to read it twenty times....

Peter,

Thanks for clarification. I am agreed with you in this subject but, we should try to find workarounds for existing shortcomings for the time being.  

Hopefully FileMaker will work on improving Quick Find functionality and any other known problems, but my experience with new releases of FileMaker tells me that solving most of the known issues take ages for FileMaker. For example, it is years that we all crying for being able to send html e-mails  with multiple attachments from FileMaker and what we got after all these years is ability to attach multiple attachments into FileMaker native email script step with no chance of sending html emails. I mean, who sends text base emails these days? We need HTML formatted emails to attract attention to our email content and engage recipients to interact with us.

All in all; from my point of view, workaround solutions are so handy, specially for beginners and intermediate developers.

14 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

I tried to read the blog post, but after waiting for it to load for a minute or so I gave up. That's generous considering a lot of people loose interest after 15 or 20 seconds waiting.

Maybe the blog got bogged down because everyone was trying to read it twenty times....

I am so sorry for this. Can you please retry. I tested it on 2 computers and a cellphone and a tablet and they all opened almost immediately.

13 hours ago, comment said:

There is a Community Articles, Tips, & Techniques section here. This should have been posted there, once.

Sorry Comment,

That is my mistake. I was not aware of Community Articles, Tips, & Techniques section. I will post my next posts in that area.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.