Scrolling a long checkbox field?

This topic is 7980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field that is formatted as Checkboxes, from a value list linked to another database, that may dynamically grow or shrink. What I'm worried about, is what happens, when there are two many checkbox choices to fit in my box? Is there any way to make a scrollbar, so they can scroll through the checkboxes?

Not that I know of, but if you need to assign values to record, and the list of available values keeps changing, you could set this all up via portals. One portal to show all the current options (matching your currect checkbox value list). These values would show up in a portal, and therefore be scrollable.

In each portal row (fulfilling the role of the checkbox) would be a button/script (which could look like a checkbox) that would when selected would create a Join record (in a Join table), matching the 'value' checked to the primary record.

Ideally you'd have another portal showing nothing but the selected values (from the Join table). You could link and unlink the relationships with buttons.

HTH

Checkboxes are best used for value lists that are well defined. Otherwise, pop-up list and menus are better options. Your only other choice is to use a value list based upon a relationship and divide your checkboxes into two selections. Perhaps a category then the specific item. This still doesn't guarantee that your set of checkboxes will fix give any possible change to the value list.

-bd

This topic is 7980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.