Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filtered value list

john9210

This topic is 1865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a value list that displays a fixed set of years: 2018, 2019, 2020...2030. I use it for creating new records. I've already used the years 2018 and 2019 to create records. Is there a way to filter the list so it only displays the values after 2019? Or, is there another way to do what I'm trying to do?

Hi John

I think the issue is that you are using a value list in a situation in which it was never really intended to be used. It seems like you are only setting these records up once (since you don't want any duplication), so why have a value list? A value list is used to guide users so that they only choose valid selections when filling in a field, but your users won't be setting up records using that list perhaps?

You are probably only setting up one new record each year. Why not just type in the year when you setup a new record?

I can't think of any easy way to do what you originally asked, it would be a whole lot of effort for no big benefit.

You might also consider a more generic approach.  This 'on-the-fly' method of specifying global value lists is very familiar to Mr. Vodka as well.  Having this trick in your tool kit is VERY handy (attached) and would work nicely in your situation, John! 

Global_VL.fmp12

By the way, if you do need to restrict values by removing those years already assigned, you can do that as well, right within the Let() statement itself.  I wasn't clear if that was part of your need.

Edited by LaRetta
Added sentence
  • Like 1

This topic is 1865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.