Changing Back Up Folder Location

This topic is 1847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi...so I have FMS17 up and running on a new mac mini. So far so good!!

I am having a tiny issue changing the back up folder location.

Current Default Path:

filemac:/Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/

So....I am trying to make the path a folder in Drop Box.

Now, if I use terminal to get an exact location of an item inside my drop box location, I get this:

ool-6038c0a5:~ fm_serveer$ /Users/fm_serveer/Dropbox/\ FILEMAKER\ BACKUPS

Getting info on the folder Produces this result:

Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨fm_serveer⁩ ▸ ⁨Dropbox⁩

I have tried lots of combinations with no success. Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Mike

This looks like a good read....Much Appreciated, THANKS!

In the interim...I am using the Sync App...which I just literally discovered on the Mac side. It is syncing my database backup folder to a folder in drop box.

as long as its backing up the backups your good - i have used that with ChronoSync  - and have even setup a backup schedule that is set to keep exactly 1 copy then the backup software CrashPlan or Backblaze will come along and back that up.

(with backup tools like that just make sure you tell them to ignore the live database.)

just a thought also check to Wasabi backup its cheap way to stop files. 

1 hour ago, MacFileman said:

This looks like a good read....Much Appreciated, THANKS!

In the interim...I am using the Sync App...which I just literally discovered on the Mac side. It is syncing my database backup folder to a folder in drop box.

Can't you just add the FileMaker backup folder to dropbox? I know you can on Windows and Linux, so you should be able to on Mac as well I'd expect.

I am not sure what you mean, honestly.

From what I gather, I can not simply just move the folder into a new location, such as a drop box folder. Lets be clear here. I am on Filemaker Server 17 and on a mac... there is a specific area to in the settings to type in the location for back ups should I decide to change the location. But what do I know? I am honestly not that savvy with stuff like this which is why I am here. Had I gone with a PC server, Id have needed outside help, but a being mac...I changed a few simple IP settings and Boom...I have a filemaker server that can be seen in China. Just saying...so I believe that FMS17 will not allow me to move the folder itself to a drop box folder. FM should address this. 

Update...after a full day, Sync did work as expected in my particular situation. Was an easy solution actually.

And I feel a little dumb, because I have regular backups with Time Machine as well....so I would never really lose data.

I do appreciate the input...and if there is something I am missing...lets hear it! Thanks!! 

And I am so appreciative if this community and how quickly great minds help the smaller minds. (me)

Thanks for everyone's input!

This topic is 1847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.