This topic is 1655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to have filemaker receive a barcode from a scanner (i know it can) and have it lookup the barcode online through an api then parse the data into fields.  I am assuming the webdata will probably come in json.

Of course it can😀 My question was somewhat rhetorical in nature.  I think i should have asked,  does anyone know of any such reliable barcode database api that I could try to access and then try to parse the data. Or at least a service that they have had success with?

Dave

• 4 months later...

Thank you, "comment"! Unfortunately I don't have key for this service. It would cost minimum $99/month, and my usage is just random and hobbybased. Entering a single barcode to their frontpage seems to be free, and I was just wondering if that could be used via Filemaker.

But thanks anyway!😊

1 hour ago, R2D2 said:

It would cost minimum $99/month,

Actually, they offer a "free test API account". I am not sure what that includes, and for how long.

1 hour ago, R2D2 said:

Entering a single barcode to their frontpage seems to be free, and I was just wondering if that could be used via Filemaker.

Technically, you could do the lookup in a web viewer and then "scrape" the resulting web page. However, that would be a violation of their terms of service.

Ok... Now I signed up for testing and got my APIkey. I also got quite good offer for my purposes. Unfortunately that script you made up does not work. Nothing happens after I press "Get Response"😕

2 hours ago, R2D2 said:

Nothing happens after I press "Get Response"

Sorry, I don't know. I believe I have followed their instructions - which are actually very simple: you are supposed to call a URL in the form of:

https://api.barcodelookup.com/v2/products?barcode=3614272049529&formatted=y&key=your_api_key

and get a JSON response in return. 

See if calling such URL (with your API key replacing the string "your_api_key") in your browser produces anything.

This topic is 1655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.