Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 1815 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Our database has properties and for each property there are multiple inspections per appliance,  sometimes year to year sometimes quarterly. Anyway, we want the technicians in the field who are using iPads to view the history per property by swiping just to make it simple. Every swipe would be a different inspection for that property viewed in chronological order. Property part is "static" while they "page" or swipe through the inspections.

I was thinking a slide control would work nicely, and each slide would be a different record for that property. I'm looking for ideas to jumpstart my thought processes,  apparently my brain is having a hard time functioning today (and it's only Tuesday!).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Caroline

A slide control is not suitable for displaying individual records, mainly because it has a fixed and predetermined number of panels. Thus the only way this could work would be to limit the number of related records shown. Consider using a filtered portal instead, with buttons to move back and forward. 

I do this to display a gallery of images. I have a 3 panel slide control, where the middle panel has focus. Whilst I use images (ie a container) you could use any field(s) on the panel.

The way it works is that you duplicate your normal fields that would show on the middle panel, as global fields, and place those fields on the same location on the left and right panel. When you swipe either left or right, you populate the globals with the data from the next or previous record, allow the panel to slide, freeze the window, go to your next or previous record in the found set, and move the slide control back to the middle panel, ready for the next swipe.

2 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

When you swipe either left or right, you populate the globals with the data from the next or previous record, allow the panel to slide, freeze the window, go to your next or previous record in the found set, and move the slide control back to the middle panel, ready for the next swipe.

That would work for browsing the current found set, not the related set. Although OP could change the layout to display records from  Inspections, while showing the "static" property details using related fields from Properties, it would still be a lot of work (triplicated for every field shown in the slide control).

I would still prefer to use a filtered portal to browse the related records - even if using a dummy slide control for moving to previous/next record.  

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, comment said:

That would work for browsing the current found set, not the related set. Although OP could change the layout to display records from  Inspections, while showing the "static" property details using related fields from Properties, it would still be a lot of work (triplicated for every field shown in the slide control).

I would still prefer to use a filtered portal to browse the related records - even if using a dummy slide control for moving to previous/next record.  

A lot of ideas, I did look at the video referenced by Fitch. And triplicating every field as global fields sounds a tad overwhelming at the moment.  I need to tackle this today so I'm debating my options.

So when you say using a dummy slide control to go to previous/next record, I imagine that means just a button to touch to move forward & back. Gosh they really want to  swipe (Lol)

15 minutes ago, Answers said:

when you say using a dummy slide control to go to previous/next record, I imagine that means just a button to touch to move forward & back.

No, I meant using an actual slide control object they can use to swipe left and right. But all the swipe would do is trigger a script to bump a global field/variable up or down. Or, if you want to make it more fancy, it would also slide to the left/right panel to show some motion, then cut right back to the middle (much like what @OlgerDiekstra described).

This topic is 1815 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.