how to give access to a layout to a user at a time.

Jair Garcia

This topic is 1765 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone, I have a layout that I want to enter only one user at a time, i try a field where a script trigger on open layout makes a set field "1" and when closing the layout deletes it, so when another user enter the layout if the field is "1"  denies the access, but if filemaker crash or the connection is lost, that field stays in 1 and nobody can enter the layout, how can this be solved? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Layouts are merely vehicles for displaying record data. Are you more concerned with one user at a time editing a record? Seems to me you might think that is necessary to handle. Filemaker handles record locking for you.

• Newbies

Hi, because i have a layout which its a report with a group of numeric field to show a monthly cash flow of a business, on the lay out i have a script for calculate the months (36)  from a specific date and the script set those fields on the layout from a calculated fields i have on the table, doing that we reduce the time of generate the report and the navigation on it. but if another user access the layout and trigger the script modify the data on the report for the 2 users, that's why we want to block the access. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 5.56.15 PM.png

Edited by Jair Garcia

I would, take a complete different approach.

Create the structure of the report so only values are Number fields (no calcs) and write a script that will be either run as PSOS - or actually scheduled on the server in the wee hours of the morning  - that would aggregate the date to this report. 

Users visiting the report would not trigger the update, as all they would need is to sort view.

You could better control who has access to the "UPDATE" button by permissions and or hiding the button from user access while the server is processing the records. 

7 hours ago, Jair Garcia said:

i have a script for calculate the months (36)  from a specific date and the script set those fields on the layout from a calculated fields i have on the table, doing that we reduce the time of generate the report and the navigation on it. but if another user access the layout and trigger the script modify the data on the report for the 2 users, t

I can't say I understand this fully, but if you want fields to have a value that is specific to each user, why don't you use global fields?

This topic is 1765 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.